Main Menu

Using dual colour LED in reverse enclosure to be indicator and reverse light

Started by jim80z, August 15, 2023, 12:49:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jim80z

Hi

I have a 70 Cuda and recently the rules for classic cars have changed in my neck of the woods (Au). Basically I cant have the rear stop light being an indicator as well....they are asking for a new indicator light to be mounted on the rear......however I believe I can have the reverse light also be an indicator.

I am considering using a dual colour LED bulb in the rear reverse light housing (amber/white) similar to what this guy did with his Citroen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeMIm9XZJU8). Has anyone done this before and has any suggested bulbs (eg  https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_AofdzM) or practical wiring suggestions? Maybe a thread I missed or search didnt flag up?

Thx

tman

That's one way to get rid of the hobby, one regulation at a time.  Wish I had some advice for you.  Pisses me off to hear such stupid stuff. 

jim80z

I can't agree with you more. A few of the guys here think that within the motor transport association some of the old guard that used to help set rules have retired......a new gen have moved into roles without the knowledge/history/scars so don't realise that blanket decisions across car generations will have, in some cases, profound impacts.

Im hoping this particular problem can be a simple fix. Looks like no-one has been down this path so I will buy a few things and experiment.

All, at a minimum, is there a good post out there re how the wiring and blinker on their rear works (learning, gotchas etc for a headstart)?

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

jim80z

Thanks @Skdmark. I had seen those already and have all the books at home. Was wondering if anyone had done work on the area and learnt a bunch of stuff (ins and outs). All good will have a crack and report here if anything comes of it. No rush.

Skdmark

Quote from: jim80z on August 17, 2023, 04:23:07 PM
Thanks @Skdmark. I had seen those already and have all the books at home. Was wondering if anyone had done work on the area and learnt a bunch of stuff (ins and outs). All good will have a crack and report here if anything comes of it. No rush.

It looks like you are carving out a new mod the rest of us haven't tackled before.
I'm no electrical expert, connect the white led to the rsverse light wire, connecf the signal wire to amber led and ground to housing. Try with jumper wires first before splicing.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

jim80z

Yup that's a starting point. Some of the things I have seen in other places is eg need for addition of resistor (or built into bulb) to allow for correct flashing, the signal wire is reverse polarity, etc etc etc. Will figure it out I guess. Thanks for the help mate.

YellowThumper

Sucks for the requirements you have to deal with over there.
My first thought was to try and isolate the center section of tail lights from the top and bottom rows.
This could be accomplished internally with blinker bulbs added to illuminate only the isolated section.
Different colored bulbs would light up the red lens with a contrasting color.
Car would retain the same look externally when not lit.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

shawge

How are the Au Challengers going to deal w/ this regulation?  Stop/turn share the same housings.

Would adding a 3rd brake light in the rear window appease them enough to leave the stop/turn lights alone?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet