Main Menu

Who retrofitted the 70-71 Cuda side markers with LED, cannot find the post

Started by FSHTAIL, February 16, 2023, 10:16:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I'm not certain if I'm using the search wrong or what..

Someone a while back either on here on on the FB E-Bodies group, they used a COB led behind the OEM lenses and it light up the entire housing. 

Has anyone seen what I'm talking about?     I ditched FB a while back, can't search it externally. 

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

anlauto

I did that on my 71 Cuda resto-mod :wave:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

amthoma

I think the R/T garage in Belle Plaine did this on mine. They should be able to help you out if you have any questions.

Spikedog08

That's a cool option and great idea!  I would consider that as well if easy!   :clapping:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

cuda hunter

Quote from: anlauto on February 17, 2023, 05:04:35 AM

Do you have a link to your process for performing this?  I think that is what @FSHTAIL is looking for. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

Quote from: cuda hunter on February 21, 2023, 05:35:57 AM
Quote from: anlauto on February 17, 2023, 05:04:35 AM

Do you have a link to your process for performing this?  I think that is what @FSHTAIL is looking for.

I do, but it's kinda in my head :crazytalk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ZippyZoo

@anlauto
I think not only the process would be helpful, but what brand LED strip lights did you purchase and from where did you purchase them? 
I found some that appear similar on Amazon but I'm never sure about what I'd get from there........a lot of counterfeit junk out there.
Thanks.

anlauto

Okay, so my first attempt was back in 2016....I used a product that was very similar to what the original poster has pictured. They were very close the the entire length of the Cuda marker light. I made my own backing plates out of sheet plastic from the hobby store, glued the lights on to it....Now for the lenses, I took the reflector apart, removed the backings, cut open the one end of the lenses part, did the same with the little square light lens, then epoxied the two lenses together and make one LONG lens that got epoxied over the LED strip onto the plastic backs I made...

In my opinion....WAY TOO OVER ENGINEERED  :pullinghair:

Fast forward to 2020 when I was building the green Cuda above....I used the KISS method...keep it simple stupid :yes:

The factory #57 light bulb was replaced with an LED version....I took each reflector and carefully removed the plastic backs and saved. Purchased
these smaller LEDS that can be "cut to length" ....I cut them after 6 LEDS and they fit perfect inside the reflector...I drilled access holes in the back of the reflector, to exit the two wires and glued them back together. I drilled matching holes in the housing and simply clipped the reflector in with the factory two way tape. I hooked the red wire to the existing light for power and black to ground. At the rear I made a new ground circuit for the LED tail lights and license plate light along with my new LED side markers.

According to my Amazon purchase history, these are what I used:  https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MN9XYJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can't comment on there quality, but it's been a year and they still work.....If I had of been more creative with the wiring, I'm sure I could have got them to flash with the signal lights, but I didn't  :dunno:

anlauto

FSHTAIL

I ordered the ones like above, I will report back when I get them and see how it works. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)