Main Menu

Electric retractable antenna

Started by Cudalbs, February 17, 2017, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70chall440

Automatic antennas take their signal to elevate from the radio. I did once try and modify one to work with a switch but it was not as easy as a toggle switch. The semi auto antennas come with the switch.
Mopar or no car!!!

A.Gramz

With the semi auto do u find as you change stations u have to adjust the height if it's not all the way out?   I have never used one personally. 

70chall440

Quote from: A.Gramz on February 19, 2017, 07:12:41 PM
With the semi auto do u find as you change stations u have to adjust the height if it's not all the way out?   I have never used one personally.

I think that you could optimize the height of the antenna for some stations if you wanted to. For me, I raise the antenna to where I think it looks good and still get channels I want to listen to.
Mopar or no car!!!

cataclysm80

Quote from: anlauto on February 18, 2017, 03:33:25 AM
Yes, I've installed two of them now. I believe the company is call retro-sound or something that sells the Barracuda/Challenger kit with the right bezels etc..

I got my antennas out yesterday.
Yes, Retro Sound is the company supplying the antennas to Classic Industries.
Interestingly, the Classic Industries price is $20 cheaper.

cataclysm80

I've been using Metra Antennaworks 44-PW22 antennas which I purchased through Year One.
Year One purchases them from Ken Harrison Classic Car Audio.

They are a nice height for Trans Am style quarter panel installation.
I just make a little mounting bracket to secure them to this factory hole.  (arrow in picture below)
This picture is just a quick test fit photo, not a finished install.
As you can see, it' fits with the Challenger fuel filler tube and vent lines, no problems.
Wiring is easy, it just runs along the passenger side like the factory T/A antenna lead.
Durability is fine.  I installed one about 15 years ago, and it's still working just fine.  (This mounting location is pretty sheltered away from the elements anyway.)

The only thing I don't like about it is the bezel.
It comes with a variety of universal fit rubber / plastic / metal fittings that can be combined in all sorts of ways until you find something you can live with.  (The plastic and rubber degrades over time.)
I much prefer the factory appearing bezel that's included with the Retro Sound antennas.

Cuda Cody

cataclysm80

Here is a picture of how the Retro Sound factory appearing bezel works.

There is a collar with threads inside that threads onto the power antenna.
Then that rocker bracket slides over the collar.  (optional spacers to adjust height)
Then the unit is placed through the antenna hole in the car, and the bezel goes on top.
Then the antenna nut threads onto the collar to hold everything in place.

I think the collar would thread onto my Metra antenna, but it's to tall to slide on.
I guess I need to machine a shorter collar, or maybe drill out an original antenna base and thread it on the inside.
Hmm, the two units are really similar.  Maybe I could just swap masts.  Looks like that would make it 2.5 inches taller.  I think that would still fit between the quarter panel and the trunk floor, I'd just have to adjust the mounting bracket.
I suppose that instead of swapping the whole mast, I could just swap the metal tube that the mast goes inside of.  I could cut it down to the shorter height of the Metra antenna mast.
Wouldn't be able to put the short Metra mast tube onto the longer Retro Antenna mast though, so I'd only have one power antenna when I was done, instead of having two.   :thinking:
Easiest solution seems to be leaving the Metra antenna alone, and removing the flexible part of the Retro mast, to create a Retro Antenna that's not remote mount, but it's still 2.5 inches taller than the Metra antenna.  I'll have to test fit it again.

cataclysm80

The retro sound antenna has a flexible extension between the mast and the motor.

Seems a bit awkward to me, like it might wobble around a lot while driving.  I think it could probably be removed to mount the mast solid onto the motor.  You'd just need to shorten the nylon drive cable by the length of the extension.
Then the antenna would be firmly held in place by the fender at the top, and a bracket at the bottom.

@anlauto  What did you fasten the power antenna motor to when you installed it under the fender?
Maybe hang it upside down from that brace that goes between the cowl and the inner fender?  No, the splash shield is in the way. 
Hmm.
Maybe some kind of bracket off the pinch weld?
Have any pics?

anlauto

I bolted it to the door post below the top hinge with an "L" bracket...sorry no pictures.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration