Main Menu

1973 Barracuda 318, dies in gear

Started by Matt13, March 02, 2020, 08:28:50 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Matt13

Well, I was planning on getting an HEI distributor regardless, so I've allotted money for that as well. I have not checked the timing. It has a hard time starting at first, gets easier and easier each time I try. When I do get it to run it seems ok, but put it in drive and there is an immediate stop. The guy said that once a month her would put a gallon of gas into it and start and run it, then close the storage container back up. Before buying it, I wanted a video of it running and he took a few showing an easy start and it running and driving fine. I don't know what could have happened between then and now.
   I'm basically doing a full tune up and replacing stuff that really looks old and rusty. Once I get the carb I will get a friend with a timing light and we'll try to dial this thing in. Thanks for all the advice.

Chryco Psycho

I would not choose to use a GM hei system on a Mopar
Firecore has a better product & Hei has its limitaions  :alan2cents:

Matt13

Well, after a new set of plugs, I ran a can of SeaFoam through the carb. Adjusted the idle screw on the carb and Viola, she starts pretty easily now. I can also put her in gear without stalling. Still runs a bit rough though.

71383bee

That's good to hear.  Sounds like ignition may not be your problem as it starts and holds an idle. Still worth it to check timing and see if there is any advance you can dial
In. After that focus on resetting the idle and mixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Matt13

Well, I already ordered a new carb as this one has seen better days. Holly technician told me it was a 2006 model. $350 to rebuild it and only $50 more for a brand new carb. No brainer. I also plan on going with an HEI type distributor, regardless of issues. The dizzy on it now is all corroded. Once I get this thing dialed in and running great, I can start on these old brakes that probably haven't been serviced in 20 yrs!

JS29

Good way to look at it, Why worry about stopping if it don't go.  :Stirring:

Matt13

Quote from: JS29 on March 06, 2020, 06:34:28 AM
Good way to look at it, Why worry about stopping if it don't go.  :Stirring:
The nice thing is that it's front disc. Can't decide if I want to add a brake booster for P/B. Thoughts?

JS29

Power assist is nice, Mine is manual. It depends if you are running a big cam or not.  :alan2cents:

Matt13

Quote from: JS29 on March 06, 2020, 08:06:54 AM
Power assist is nice, Mine is manual. It depends if you are running a big cam or not.  :alan2cents:
I'm not sure. I just got her starting and running decently; she doesn't die when put in gear anymore. I think once it's dialed in I might be able to tell if it's a bigger cam. For now she still runs a bit rough and I can't seem to get her to idle down, even when warmed up.

JS29

Could be a vacuum leak. wight until your new carb is on, then see. :alan2cents:   

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

71383bee

Quote from: Bullitt- on March 06, 2020, 09:22:03 AM
Quote from: JS29 on March 06, 2020, 08:34:36 AM
Could be a vacuum leak.   
:iagree:   Get a vacuum gauge.... rather have this than a timing light

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/bosch-3089/tools---equipment-16488/diagnostic-16546/vacuum-tester-19013/0a5b30b9a3a3/bosch-vacuum-fuel-tester/fix7803/2578927#

Holy Crap that's awesome!  I've NEVER seen that type of chart before.  I need to recheck mine as my vacuum on the 340 is in the 13 to 15 range.  I suspect it needs more initial timing. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top