Main Menu

340 Dipstick Tube

Started by plymouthbelvy, November 10, 2021, 04:43:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

plymouthbelvy

Hello. Can anybody tell me if there is a rubber o ring that holds the dipstick tube in place in the block? My tube for some reason is really loose all of a sudden. Its loose up and down and I can spin it really easily. It was freshly painted a couple of years ago and maybe the was holding it tight. Kind of a dumb question but just noticed it was loose. Thanks.

Dakota

It's a friction fit with no o-ring.  You can look at the dipsticks on Roseville's website to check.

If it were mine, I'd pull out the tube and put a dab of Permatex ultra copper on it, reinsert it and let it cure.  I used that stuff to seal my exhaust manifolds to the heads - no leaks.

plymouthbelvy

Thanks for the info. I didnt remember putting an o ring on it. Paint must have held it tight all this time.

jimynick

You could also take a tapered punch and use it to swage the lower end of the tube to get a tighter fit before gooping it. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

plymouthbelvy

Hello.Thanks for the info. That was going to be my choice as well. I was thinking the same before I used any sealant.

plymouthbelvy

Well I figured out why it was so loose. It was broke off in the block.I used an easy out and pry bar and got it to come out. Pain in the Butt.  Well at least its out and now I have to try and find another. 7 7/8 inch tube I read. Thanks.