Main Menu

Proper dipstick and tube for LA SB?

Started by FSHTAIL, June 05, 2022, 01:04:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FSHTAIL

I really want to replace the dipstick and tube on my 340 la, the tube doesn't seem to want to fit properly.     

Were these all chrome from the factory or is mine some cheap aftermarket?   

With five quarts of oil on a stock pan, that should put me at the filled mark, but on mine I don't think it's accurate, leaves me towards the bottom line.   That's why I figure it's aftermarket. 

Where can I get a 1970 dipstick setup?
Need some schooling.   

Thanks. 

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

nonfish

Factory never installed a chrome dip stick or tube. If it is, then it is a aftermarket one....

Dakota

Roseville doesn't show any in inventory.  Speedway and Summit have them on their website but they may not be any different than what you have.  Not much better help - I know.  :dunno:

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

A chrome dipstick is an aftermarket..    I replaced mine with a "stock" one i bought at autozone.   It measure 20.5 inches on the stick itself (not counting the handle). 

Regarding the reading after putting in 5 qts of oil...did you also replace the oil filter?   It holds about a half quart so that 5 would leave you showing not full on a correct stick.

What about your oil pan ?   Stock or aftermarket with a larger volume so that it takes more to show full???

FSHTAIL

Quote from: anlauto on June 05, 2022, 12:49:47 PM
VANS sells the correct one https://vansauto.com/product/70-71-small-block-dipstick-includes-tube/  :twothumbsup:

Thanks for the help.   

I think I'm going to tack weld a tab onto it and make it so that it bolts to the head so it doesn't wallow out and come out of the block as easily

FSHTAIL

It just has a standard replacement pan on it.