Main Menu

Storage / shipping case for 8.75 center section?

Started by Skdmark, November 10, 2020, 05:25:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Skdmark

I have a pair of 8.75 center sections that I'm looking to ship and store. I see there are about a half dozen cases on the market advertised for Ford 9" center sections. Has anyone had luck in using one of these on an 8.75?

I would rather not use a 5 gallon bucket.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

jimynick

I hear you about the bucket, but what about a milk crate? They're a lot more durable than the plastic pail AND they've got handles! Line it with construction grade garbage bags and wire them in good and tight and you should be able to kick them off the back of the truck when you want to. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

1 Wild R/T

I have on made of 3/4" plywood... My buddy made it years ago, the 3rd member bolts in, the gears are protected, it has handles so it's easy to carry & you don't get dirty....

M/P use to sell one molded of plastic...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 10, 2020, 11:19:17 PM
I have on made of 3/4" plywood... My buddy made it years ago, the 3rd member bolts in, the gears are protected, it has handles so it's easy to carry & you don't get dirty....

M/P use to sell one molded of plastic...

I have a friend that made me a couple of these out of wood as well  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I emailed Speedmaster to see if their case is compatible.
The others I have seen on the market are explicit in being for a Ford 9".

https://speedmaster79.com/Differential-Third-Member-Storage-Case-With-Hardware

Worst case I'll fab one up out of 3/4 plywood.
For those with wood boxes, which way is the center section mounted?  Horizontal or Vertical
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

Daveh

I order a complete new set up from Dr. Diff and it came in the bucket and was double packed in cardboard with packing and it arrived fine.  Just my 2 cents. 

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Skdmark on November 11, 2020, 07:05:15 AM

Worst case I'll fab one up out of 3/4 plywood.
For those with wood boxes, which way is the center section mounted?  Horizontal or Vertical

When mine is sitting on the ground the yoke is pointing up....

I'll try to get a picture later today..

RSI700VIPER

FWIW, I used a Home Depot bucket.  I put the pumpkin in a garbage bag, then squirted a layer of expandable foam (gap filler insulation) in the bottom of the bucket and let it set up.  Then I put the pumpkin in the bucket and filled the sides and top voids with more foam.  Sealed the bucket and sent it on its way.  Arrived safe and sound to its destination. 

RUNCHARGER

The foam would be a must do. I have a few in plastic pales and they are only sturdy enough for moving around the shop, milk crates are stronger but aren't big enough. Deck screws and plywood wouldn't take long to do if you're shipping one.
Sheldon

anlauto

A friend of mine was at my house one Summer building us a pool shed...As I was working in the shop lugging around a center chunk, he whipped up two or three of these carrying boxes....I wouldn't use them for shipping, but I use them for moving the chunks around, having them sandblasted and I even keep them in there for painting...this one is well used...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

Lots of good ideas!

I had been thinking something similar with the yoke pointed up.
Build Two boxes of roughly equal depth. The base box would be similar to Alan's with hole in the center.
Bolt the the diff down to the mounting plate in the base box using T-nuts.
Add handles to upper box.
Connect the two halves together.
-Harlan Ellison