Main Menu

Powder coating 8-3/4 center section

Started by Burdar, November 12, 2020, 01:56:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I just found out that the guy I've had powder coat my bumper brackets and small parts doesn't do powder any more.  There are a few other places around that I'll need to get some quotes from.  I'd like to know what the going rate is for an 8-3/4 center section(not the complete housing)  Has anyone had one coated recently?  My case is completely disassembled and was soaked in EvapoRust however I'm sure any powder coater will want to blast it first anyway.  I'd like to have a number in mind before I get quotes. 

My last guy was VERY cheap.  I think I'm going to be shocked at the pricing at other places.  Part of me wants to buy the Eastwood powder coating kit and do it myself with a used oven.  However, I doubt an oven rack would support even a bare 8-3/4 center section.

1 Wild R/T

Bet the oven rack would be fine...   

Guy I've used in the past always took great care of me, probably $25-30 to do that, unfortunately he recently passed away...

74-5.7

I'm guessing for the center section you would be around $70 -100,  I just had a 8 3/4 housing and two backing plates done for $260 I'm in Colorado.

Rich G.

I have the Eastwood powder coat gun. Works great. I'm sure you could support the oven rack somehow if you had to.

Skdmark

Have you checked with Phoenix coatings?
They do free quotes and are mopar-centric.

https://phoenixspecialtycoatings.com/index.html

I have not used them, but am considering them for future projects.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

autoxcuda

Quote from: Rich G. on November 12, 2020, 05:07:08 PM
I have the Eastwood powder coat gun. Works great. I'm sure you could support the oven rack somehow if you had to.

I think it would support. But I don't know how you would get one to fit in a normal household oven.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Burdar

QuoteGuy I've used in the past always took great care of me, probably $25-30 to do that, unfortunately he recently passed away...

That's about what I would have been charged with the guy I've used in the past.  If it's going to cost $100 for just the center section, I'll buy the Eastwood kit.  I'll have to measure but I'm pretty sure the center will fit in an oven.  I might have to make a shallow rack to sit on the bottom instead of on the sides.

There are a couple places near me I can get quotes from.  I'm not going to ship a center section to be coated.  Shipping both ways would probably be more then the coating would cost.

Ricomondo

I had the center section, axle housing and some small brackets done two months ago:

$145 for the housing and $65 for the center section.(just outside Chicago in the 'burbs)
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

Burdar

I measured the center section with the caps off.  It's only 10" tall so it should fit easily.  Setting it on the bottom of the oven is a good idea.

Member @Gary graciously offered to let me use his powder coating gun and oven.  I've got something of his that I need to return anyway.  I can just drive over to his place, return his part and powder coat a few parts.  It should work out great for everyone.  :twothumbsup:

Racer57

Quote from: Skdmark on November 12, 2020, 05:48:08 PM

I spoke to them about doing some cast valve covers. They told me they had a pair of older Eldebrock and I bought them for a reasonable price and had them coated with hemi orange. After about 3,000 miles they started to bubble. I assumed it was due to impregnated oil that had not been cleaned out. They said it was because they had gotten too hot on the engine and there was nothing they would/could do about it. Think about that.... powder coating is done at about 350 degrees.  They have done some outstanding work, but in my case I got screwed.

Skdmark

Quote from: Racer57 on November 18, 2020, 08:12:11 AM
Quote from: Skdmark on November 12, 2020, 05:48:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

I spoke to them about doing some cast valve covers. They told me they had a pair of older Eldebrock and I bought them for a reasonable price and had them coated with hemi orange. After about 3,000 miles they started to bubble. I assumed it was due to impregnated oil that had not been cleaned out. They said it was because they had gotten too hot on the engine and their was nothing they would/could do about it. Think about that.... powder coating is done at about 350 degrees.  They have done some outstanding work, but in my case I got screwed.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

Spikedog08

I had a friend help me with some of my powder coating and many of the parts on my cars have been done including both k frames and a lot of suspension parts . . . can't help much on costs as it didn't cost me more than a few beers.    :handshake:

He had a walk-in oven in the pole barn . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Bill Rolik

Mike Ross at B/E & A  just recently did both of the 8-3/4" diff cases for my 71 340 Cuda convertible, plus a few dozen other items. Good stuff!

Bill Rolik

www.billrolikenterprises.com

7E-Bodies

1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green