Main Menu

383 to 440 clearance concerns

Started by GoMangoBoys, October 01, 2019, 07:57:01 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

If I go with a 440 instead of the 383 that my Challenger was born with, are there clearance concerns since the 440 is a taller block?  I just want to consider all of the obstacles that I might encounter.

RUNCHARGER

Nope, nothing. It's a factory setup either way. The carb sits a bit higher with similar intakes but generally it isn't an issue.
Sheldon

MoparLeo

Exhaust clearance is tighter between the shock towers and steering box. But you knew that. :tool:
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Chryco Psycho

The Holley Street Dominator is one of the best intakes available & it sits nice & low so you can have great performance with decent hood clearance , if you are going to Use the 383 you should buy the intake from Fire guy as he is selling his right now & they are dicontinued but my preference would always the 440 & I would stroke it to 512

Wayne

Do you have an intake manifold in mind or already purchased?  People use the eddy rpm and that fits.  Drop base air cleaner will help as well. I think where you will have issues is if you use a high rise single plane intake such as Victor, trick flow or Indy on a RB motor.   
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A