Main Menu

e-body Hurst shifter restoration - Pistol grip lever

Started by Bossgold, September 30, 2019, 09:32:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

So I had an opportunity to have my shifter looked at and fixed. Got it back and was none to happy......sorry if this sounds cryptic but the handle restoration was terrible. Chrome is pitted and the shift pattern button is crooked. This was my original shifter. So I will start with after doing several searches didn't find any stellar recommended restorers on this site. I did a google search and usual suspects came up. I figured though that if anyone had some one that did a really great job on the pistol grip lever then let me know. And if your interested you can PM me about my experience. My personal thought - unacceptable. I won't go into a trash session...but the more I type, I'm Pissed. DONE.

Cuda Cody

Any photos?

I think I have a nice restored handle if you need it.  I think it's 1970 only.  What year do you need?

Dakota

I had mine done at Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN about 5 years ago.  I am happy with the results. 

In the past couple of years, it's my understanding that their facilities were damaged by flooding and in 2018 they had a major fire, so I can't necessarily speak to what they do today.

anlauto

Where did you send yours ? I send all of mine directly back to Hurst and they come back looking beautiful.....I just sent them the 10th one. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bossgold

So I was told that Hurst, since being acquired by Holley does not offer the service. At the same time I was recommended to go to another Service provider for restoration by a forum/FB group for e bodies participants. I take your advice seriously.  It is obvious there is a difference between rebuilt and restored.

Wrong: Shifter mechanism should be phosphate and oil....did not know this. Mine is not. Old pictures came back to haunt me.  Shifter lever as per my post wasn't even close....a blind man could see.

So I looked up old emails and spoke to scott Brokaw. I don't know why I didn't think of this but with so many parts going out for 'restoration' and NOT rebuild it slipped thru the cracks.

Cody, Alan, thanks for the help.  My problem, original # engine is dyno'd Next monday, and I was planning to reunite the twins back with mama starting mid Oct. Sucks.  OK wasn't cheap....so close almost flawless...stalled by the original shifter....

Plan: shifter going back out to Scott Brokaw to be done correctly. I am at the goal line and it will be all original.  Cody, thanks for the offer depending on what happens i'll let you know in a few days.
Pictures: First two are the 'restored' version handle and chrome second two show the original and phosphate and oil mechanism

anlauto

Oops sorry...When I was sending mine back to Hurst....they were going to Scott Brokaw.....I always thought they were one and the same ? :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Bossgold

Yes I know I made the same mistake until I went back to my old email and saw that Scott had sent them direct......then the light clicked on!