Main Menu

440-6 flywheel & pressure plate

Started by Jocigar, January 09, 2019, 07:37:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hi all,

Getting back into a 25 year old project, feeling gun shy and knowledge-less.

First, can someone verify that these are correct parts for 440-6.

I would like to have both resurfaced and perhaps pressure plate rebuilt?  Any northeast shop recommendations? will likely ship the set.

lastly, I'm going to need a new clutch, recommendation on that is also appreciated.   Stock 440 with mild cam upgrade.

Thank you!

Jocigar

Never mind, found my 2 year old post of same.. must be getting senile.

He told me the pressure plate was not painted from factory.  I may go with hemi orange while they are at it, seems a same to just let is rust again.

I will post pictures once I get them back. 

Rich G.

I can see resurfacing the flywheel but why wouldn't you put in a new clutch and pressure plate?

GrandpaKevin

I was under the impression original 1970-71 440 Six Pack engines were externally balanced?

6bblgt

one of the Direct Connection manuals showed pics of the flywheels

this might be from the same manual, showing how to modify a neutral balance 440 flywheel to work with the "Heavy Rod" externally balanced 1970-1971 440HP & 440+6 engines

it looks like your flywheel has weight removed in the correct area & would be correct for a 440+6 with heavy rods & the offset weight balancer

GrandpaKevin

Wouldn't it be best to have the externally balanced flywheel, matching harmonic balancer and rotating assembly balanced all at the same time?

RUNCHARGER

Yup: It is best to balance the whole assembly if possible. Not always possible of course.
Sheldon

Jocigar

Hi Guys,  I'm back an needing some help.

Having shipped the flywheel and pressure plate out for refurb-

I've been told that the weight bars welded to the pressure plate are strange, never seen before, not sure if stock?

I am also being told that the flywheel has been cut too many times and some ridges are gone that are indicators? and resurfacing more will take everything out of alignment?

I have no knowledge on this please help.  thx

anlauto

I agree...I've never see weights welded to a pressure plate like that....I would just bite the bullet and buy all new stuff....Real pain in the ass finding out later that the part balance is out of wack...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Are you working on a original 440 Six Pack 4 speed car?
Are you rebuilding the entire engine?
Is it an original 440 six pack engine?

Lot of variables when dealing with an externally balanced engine.

I would talk to these guys.

http://www.brewersperformance.com/4speed.php

Fastmark

I've seen lots of bars added to pressure plates. I'm sure I could find one or two at the shop that look just like yours. I'd rather see that than a engine balancer that drill holes to make the heavy side lighter.

Jocigar

'Are you working on a original 440 Six Pack 4 speed car?  yes
'Are you rebuilding the entire engine?  already done
'Is it an original 440 six pack engine?  yes

Jamie says pressure plate has rollers in it which indicates that it is not original to this car.    So we either knock off the bars and rebuild or I just buy an all new set-up as many have suggested with new three finger PP.   

If flywheel cant be re-surfaced and pressure plate is funky, maybe I should just go all new.  Its twice the cost but not something I want to do twice.

thanks all.

rocketresto

Did all the heavy rod 70-71 engines have a balanced flywheel?  Know the balancer was different.
Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington