Main Menu

Clutch / Pressure plate question

Started by ksierens, February 12, 2019, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

ksierens

For my 440 dynoed at 432 hp, I was going to purchase a McLeod MC75209 kit.

Diaphragm style clutch package for 10.5" 130 tooth flywheel applications with 23 spline transmission. The Super Street Pro clutch kit is ideal for both the street and the track. We recommend it for cars up to 550 hp with moderate engine mods and street tires. The kit is SFI approved. Included is a high clamp load pressure plate, a dual faced organic and metallic disc for smooth engagement and awesome holding power. Our kits are complete with pilot tool and throw out bearing. If you are looking for a street friendly yet track proven clutch, the McLeod Super Street Pro is your best choice. Be advised that the clutch pedal overcenter spring will need to be removed for proper operation.

Any comments?
1970 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4 Speed Dana 3.54

anlauto

Do you really like a diaphragm style clutch ? Most of my customers including myself don't like them at all  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ksierens

Well that's why I am asking! I know you need to remove the over center spring from the clutch pedal to use them, but what is the problem with them?

anlauto

The pedal is really light and easy to push like a newer car and in some cases likes to stick to the floor allowing the engine to over rev :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

ksierens

Well I am coming up on 60 so, a lighter pedal is a selling point!  :)

Chryco Psycho

I remove them from cars I work on & there will never be one in any of my cars
they don't release correctly & can hang on the floor , better have a rev limiter !!
I use the B&B /Long instead

ksierens

So what brand do you guys use then, I see RAM on Brewer's, and Hays at Summit

Ram 10.9" 23 spline Borg & Beck pressure plate and street disc package, includes organic disc & 2400# pressure plate, pressure plate bolts, fits 10.5" 130 tooth flywheels/23 spline transmissions.

anlauto

I just bought a HAYS Street/Strip clutch kit for the AAR I'm restoring. Summit delivered it today actually. :alan2cents:

SYDWAZ

I had a diaphragm clutch installed back in the 80 s. The 0recenter spring was not removed as recommended. It makes you shutter when the clutch peddle sticks to the floor at WOT. It makes a huge bang when the clutch reengages. I was lucky I didn't brake something in the motor. My new clutch is a Borg and beck Hays.

Racer57

I installed a new B&B and couldn't get the clutch to work properly. Took everything back apart and one of the three fingers was set tighter than the other two. Called the supplier and they said they would sent me a new one, but I had to pay ship mine back to them which is almost as much as what the clutch costs.  Bought a diaphragm clutch like is being talked about here and love it. I'll never have another B&B again.

Chryco Psycho

I have always used McLeod but I have not been buying enough as they have dropped some of the product lines now

ksierens

Racer57

Quote from: ksierens on February 13, 2019, 05:26:32 AM
Racer57, what brand was it?
Ram or McLeod. Its been 5 years and I honestly do not remember which manufacturer it was or which I have now.

RUNCHARGER

I used Mcleod as well but they aren't available anymore. I have never had any luck with the diaphram style.
Sheldon

ksierens

Thanks for all the info, guess I will go with the Ram HDX Borg & Beck 10.5" setup. Jegs has it for $349 and free shipping.