Main Menu

440 oil pump priming

Started by Jsand73440, September 03, 2022, 03:28:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jsand73440

I am getting read to prime my oil system and cavities, etc on my 440. I have the priming rod that i will turn with my drill. My question is, i was told that i should run the drill/shaft direction counter clockwise. Is this correct? I know that i need to be turning the engine slowly by hand using the large nut/wrench on the front dampener wheel at the same time. The engine turns clockwise and the primer rod counter clockwise?

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

B5fourspeed

Fill the oil filter 1/2 to 3/4.Turn rod counter clockwise with drill.You will feel  the drill start to struggle when you are building up pressure.I bought a cheap mechanical oil gauge so I could see when I was getting pressure.I got it up to 60 psi.My engine builder told he primed the engine.When I started the car for the first time I had no oil pressure.I replace a brand new oil pump with another new one.I did the process I started and I got good pressure.I don't know if the pump was good or bad.I just changed it to be on the safe side.

Jsand73440

Quote from: B5fourspeed on September 03, 2022, 04:05:08 PM
Fill the oil filter 1/2 to 3/4.Turn rod counter clockwise with drill.You will feel  the drill start to struggle when you are building up pressure.I bought a cheap mechanical oil gauge so I could see when I was getting pressure.I got it up to 60 psi.My engine builder told he primed the engine.When I started the car for the first time I had no oil pressure.I replace a brand new oil pump with another new one.I did the process I stated and I got good pressure.I don't know if the pump was good or bad.I just changed it to be on the safe side.
Awesome, thanks for the info. I too bought a cheap pressure gauge to watch the pressure build as well.

RzeroB

Quote from: B5fourspeed on September 03, 2022, 04:05:08 PM
Fill the oil filter 1/2 to 3/4.Turn rod counter clockwise with drill.You will feel  the drill start to struggle when you are building up pressure.I bought a cheap mechanical oil gauge so I could see when I was getting pressure.I got it up to 60 psi.My engine builder told he primed the engine.When I started the car for the first time I had no oil pressure.I replace a brand new oil pump with another new one.I did the process I started and I got good pressure.I don't know if the pump was good or bad.I just changed it to be on the safe side.

I've ran into that problem a couple of times myself. Sometimes the pump cavitates and is unable to pull the oil up from the pan. I pack the scroll and rotor of the pump with Vaseline which prevents it from cavitating and quickly liquifies as soon as the engine starts running.
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)