Main Menu

440 Piston Pic!

Started by Ebbs, December 28, 2018, 06:33:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Try another machine shop, never heard that before

dodj

Quote from: Ebbs on January 08, 2019, 05:08:59 PM
Well the verdict is in from the machine shop...not enough metal left to put a sleeve on!

Any suggestions on next steps as the original 440 can't be built:
-replacement core 1970 440 HP block
-misc 1970 440 HP block

Pretty much sucks as I was really looking forward to having the original engine back in the car

Regards
Brad
IMO, once it's not the original block, put any block in there. Period correct is still not original.  :alan2cents:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jimynick

"not enough metal left to put a sleeve on"? WTF? Did you totally grenade this thing, tearing chunks out of the cylinder wall? You'd have to tear out the bottom of the cylinder before you couldn't sleeve it. The operation involves machining the hole to receive the sleeve and leaving a step or ridge of metal at the bottom to prevent the sleeve ever slipping down. I've seen one guy put in 6 in one block after a catastrophic engine failure and the thing ran like a champ, so I'll be damned if I can see why buddy can't stick one in your block! A lot of machinists don't like to sleeve engines and will weasel their way out of doing it by telling you that, oh say, there isn't enough metal left to put one on let's say. Without telling buddy, get another opinion from another reputable machinist before you trash your block, because it should be an easy fix. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

redgum78

Agree, sleeve should be possible. if it was a non matching engine it maybe more economic to find a better core but given its the original engine its well worth repairing.

Does the machinist understand the relevance of matching numbers? Maybe he is advising on economics and is not aware of the value the original block holds?

Racer57

I don't know anything about it. But curious.... if block is already bored to max allowable, can it still be sleeved ?

RJChallenger

Quote from: Ebbs on January 08, 2019, 05:08:59 PM
Well the verdict is in from the machine shop...not enough metal left to put a sleeve on!

Any suggestions on next steps as the original 440 can't be built:
-replacement core 1970 440 HP block
-misc 1970 440 HP block

Pretty much sucks as I was really looking forward to having the original engine back in the car

Regards
Brad
As an Industrial mechanic or Millwright I spent over ten years in a machine shop for the steel industry. You should see some of the shit we had to fix. I've seen race engines throw a rod out the side of the block , be heated pressed back into shape and welded up .Re-machined and live to race again .That time a friend drilled out his frost plug, he did the same thing. He was lucky and the piston was at bdc and the rings didn't travel past the hole. we tap the hole and loctited a pipe plug. If the only damage is to the one cylinder , Then find another machine shop That damage shouldn't be enough to scrap the block

RUNCHARGER

Agreed, get a second opinion on the block.
Sheldon

Ebbs

I appreciate the feedback..I will be reaching out to my engine builder to get a second opinion on the viability of the original block

Regards
Brad

jimynick

Brad, you're slightly missing our point. DON'T "reach out" to the same guy. You're in effect asking him to contradict himself and damn few folks are up for that. Load the block- take a buddy and throw it in the trunk- and take it to a different shop; one that doesn't either know the original guy or the story to date. Become an informed consumer and re-read some of the comments the lads have made regarding this situation and at the end of the day, save your block and wallet from further abuse. We know you can do it! Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Whatever you do don't get rid of the block. I know of a HemiCuda with it's original block sawed up from a con rod. The block is with the car even if it isn't savable at this point. You never know what new techniques might come up in the future.
Sheldon