Main Menu

Gunk in the Engine

Started by floorit426, January 07, 2019, 05:54:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

floorit426

Over the weekend, I pulled the smallblock, out of my son's Challenger. One issue I found was one of the rear freeze plugs is bad, which I suspected. I pulled a few of the freeze plugs, and found what looks like mud, in the water jackets. I'm thinking that it may be residue from some sort of Barsleak, or something. The car has always been prone to overheating and I think this may be the reason why. Does anyone have an idea of the best way to get this stuff dissolved, or flushed out?

Cuda Cody

Are you going to rebuild it?  Just have the block tanked and it should be good to go.  Might want to mag it too just in case.  :alan2cents:

Cudajason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Topcat

Topcat

I sent an e-mail I found about a chemical that removes Bars leaks.

RUNCHARGER

That's why I don't ever use miracle in a bottle fixes.
Sheldon

floorit426

Thanks, everyone, for the input. The engine runs well, so I would prefer not to rebuild it. The products recommended, seem to require a heat cycle and some circulation. Since the engine is out, do you guys think I could block off the lower radiator and heater hose and inlets and fill the engine up, let it sit for a few days, and then drain it?

aussiemark

If one plug is leaking the others will go sooner then latter I would remove all the plugs and flush it out with fresh water, install  a new set of plugs flush out the radiator as well then add a cooling system cleaning solution, run it for a while flush it out, repeat then give it a final clean with fresh water and add a good coolant.

70 Challenger Lover

Out of curiosity, was he using the vacuum advance or did he unplug it? I agree that you need to flush that gunk out of there but you might find that it isn't the ultimate source of the overheating issue. All my engines always ran on the hot side no matter what I did until I rediscovered just how useful the vacuum advance was in keeping engine temperature under control.

floorit426

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on January 08, 2019, 02:45:21 AM
Out of curiosity, was he using the vacuum advance or did he unplug it? I agree that you need to flush that gunk out of there but you might find that it isn't the ultimate source of the overheating issue. All my engines always ran on the hot side no matter what I did until I rediscovered just how useful the vacuum advance was in keeping engine temperature under control.

Yes the vacuum advance was connected. I'm not sure of the initial, but I think he was running 34 degrees, total.

RUNCHARGER

I had a similar issue with the 383 in my 71 Challenger. I flushed what I could with fresh water but ended up removing all the frost plugs and bent coat hangar to scrape all the gunk out through the frost plug openings.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: aussiemark on January 08, 2019, 02:24:58 AM
If one plug is leaking the others will go sooner then latter I would remove all the plugs and flush it out with fresh water, install  a new set of plugs flush out the radiator as well then add a cooling system cleaning solution, run it for a while flush it out, repeat then give it a final clean with fresh water and add a good coolant.
:iagree:  Damn good advice and I'd also do what Sheldon said and root out the reluctant schmutz with a coat hanger wire. Don't forget a wee bead of sealant on the edges of the new brass (never screw with them again) frost plugs.  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

aussiemark

You can get proper core plug sealant I think Loctite make it.