Main Menu

493 stroker carb choice

Started by cam440, November 24, 2017, 07:47:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cam440

Hi everybody is only me again getting pretty excited about this engine gotta say , now I need to buy a carby I have a 493 RB engine with holley sd intake rpm eddys unported , comp xs 282 solid cam , 4 speed with 3.25 rear my engine guy said  a 750 dp holly, sounds alittle small i thought
a 850 dp , now I'm only looking for a fun streeter with strong midrange power I'll very rarely race it if it made power from idle to 6000 rpm I'd be happy with good street manners I can cruise around in with my boys

Chryco Psycho

950 Proform race series would be my pick

cudabob496

for street, my 850 is more than adequate
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cam440

Thanks guys yeah it's a big engine that's for sure 750 is way to small on 493 cubes

Brads70

I'd suggest either the Proform or quickfuel and they have so many adjustable features so you can really dial it in nice!  I have an 850 Quickfuel DP and love it. Best carb I have ever owned.  :alan2cents:

Shane Kelley

:iagree:  I run the QF's also and love them. People like CP love the Proform and I believe are equally great carbs.  The thing to think about with carb CFM sizes. The smaller the size the quicker the throttle response. But when you go to small with a large engine that's modified you won't have enough air flow on the top end. The 950 CP recommended would be a great choice if your a give it hell all the time and stretch it's legs like me.  :burnout: But if your really just getting on it every now and then and mostly cruising around I would go with the 850.  :alan2cents:    You won't be disappointed whatever route you decide. For the manual trans I would definitely recommend mechanical secondary.

1 Wild R/T

Want it to run great all the time? Fire it up stone cold & have it idle, drop it in gear & never miss a beat? Drive it from the coast up to 12,000 feet & still run great? No leaning over a hot engine playing with gasoline?  Designed to support 800 HP so your more than covered...  Here's your answer.... 

http://fitechefi.com/products/30008/

RUNCHARGER

Another vote for injection. On a totally stock restoration a carb is the only choice but injection is getting close enough in cost to carbs that it is the only system I would consider buying new these days and you save the cost of buying a wideband to tune the carb as well. I'll one up Wild just for fun!
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

I don't run the one I posted, that supports 800 HP, I run the 600 HP version & it's over kill, My motor is pretty mild...   

cam440

Yes u know me Shane  I'm not really power hungry , gotta say my little 340 goes well gonna miss all that room working on it lol.im just a big block 4 speed shaker guy and I got a good deal on that stroker kit so why not

cudabob496

the Nascar 850 hp engines use an 830 carb
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

cam440

cudabob496

annular boosters will also give you better throttle response on the street,
and 7 or 8 more hp.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: cam440 on November 25, 2017, 12:15:00 PM
Yes u know me Shane  I'm not really power hungry , gotta say my little 340 goes well gonna miss all that room working on it lol.im just a big block 4 speed shaker guy and I got a good deal on that stroker kit so why not

Ha. I didn't even realize it was you Cameron when I was replying. Welcome aboard!

1 Wild R/T

Clearly not hearing the suggestion of looking at EFI....