Main Menu

6 bbl carb question? Vacuum or Mechanical?

Started by jordan, October 23, 2018, 05:32:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jordan

I have a bit of a dilemma.  I love my multiple carb set up.  Mostly.  I love the look. I love the way the outboards open up and the rush it provides.  They idle, and run great.  Start hot or cold.   No problems except when I want to roll into it gently at the apex while I am doing some hard charging through the corners.  I have to floor it to get the outboards to open, then back off the throttle to catch the right RPM and reapply throttle to keep me going.  When I roll into it at the apex, I get a big nothing.  Like the center carb ran out of gas or air, and the vacuum hasn't dropped enough to get the outboards to open.  I have changed springs and actually like how they open, but that happens with a definite stab to the floor with the throttle pedal.  I want to just roll into it and have the outboards come in just a little sooner, but at the same rate they do now.   The work great when going in a straight line, and it loves getting floored. 
    My problem is that I have a set of Holley 4782 and 4783 mechanical linkage set up that are junk and need total rebuilding sitting in a box.  I have been given the opinion that the mechanical operated carbs are more tunable with the linkage.  Can I set up the linkage to have the outboards open when I want them to so I can roll out the the corners with out flooring it?  Any recommendations as where to send it:  Harms or Holley?  Or other ?   Also, do the carbs set up the same?  Meaning, can I copy what I have in my vacuum set and expect the mechanical ones to behave the same?  I also heard the opinion that the mechanical carbs flood out easier at steady run throttle settings.  I plan on using Proform jet plates like I have in my current set. 
    Next problem:  I have recently been told to save my money and that I probably need to make a custom cam for my accelerator pump and it will clean up my issue.  Cheap fix.  Does any one else know of this fix and can lead me in the right direction?
  Am I asking a drag racing carb to work as a road racing carb?  Is it possible?  Is it probable?  I need more than ON-OFF.   
  Save the FI opinions for later.  I know, but it is an old car and it has carbs.  I am not ready to afford the FI system I want anyway. 
  Thanks for your opinions or help in advance. 

"Don't brake until you see God!"

RUNCHARGER

I have had a few sets of the 4782 and 4783s and a few sets of stock vacuum carbs. I prefer the manual ones as there are three accelerator pumps so tuning them is a breeze. I also like that you can cock the end carbs open just a touch, midway or whatever to achieve what you want. The drivers side fuel lines are a pain but you can do it. I can't comment on the side g-force issue as I had them on cars that didn't really handle well. I don't believe there is enough room between carbs to change fuel bowl style unfortunately.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I agree completely I want better modulation of the outboard carbs
I am a mechanical secondary guy on everything unless it is EFI , I want to tell the engine what to do not the other way around , the center hung float bowls are the best But with the metering blocks in all 3 carbs the back carb will not fit so you could run a different bowl on the back carb and be creative with a fuel line or run the side hung bowls on all 3 carbs , side hung work well also .
The set up would be similar , you will have jets in the outboard carbs & should be similar jet sizing , you will now have 3 accel pumps to tune which is far better , you want the center carb as lean as possible without a stumble the outboards you want the same but they take care of themselves as they are opened , with only the center carb you can be adding too much fuel to compensate for the outboards , you also have better access to mixture screws than factory outboards .
I don't have a good person to rebuild them for you , I do all of my own Holley staff that new these carbs have all retired by now & new 6 packs are not the same but to restore existing carbs I believe they would do a good job .

Changin the existing accel pump , you can grind your own cam or use a more agressive one using the big brown or yellow cams & add a 50 cc pump but this will change nothing it will nto create more venturi vacuum to open the outboards sooner , back to wasting fuel to compensate