Main Menu

70 440 4bbl Vacuum Advance

Started by schlett7nu1, March 13, 2021, 08:00:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

schlett7nu1

I have a 70 Challenger 440 4bbl.  It has it's original electrically controlled vacuum advance stamped with part number 3438262 on the mounting flange. I came across an NOS advance with part number 3438263 stamped on the flange. The part number on the box is 3514331. Would this NOS part be abblicable for my motor?  Based on online research it's correct for a 70-71 383 2bbl.
Thanks

dodj

Not sure I understand what 'electronic' vacuum advance is?  :huh:

Or that anything was electronic in 1970?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

schlett7nu1

Early emissions control. Dashpot on carb activates at idle to retard spark via electrically controlled vacuum advance. I still run the original points setup.  Probably should have used the term electrically controlled.

headejm

FWIW...My 1970 Challenger 383 Magnum engine came with this distributor. Also photo of the "electrically controlled" widget.

I'm as OEM as anyone but I didn't hesitate to install a Mopar electronic distributor. I still have the original points distributor if I would ever need it. I'm also a perfectionist and I think setting dwell on the points distributor is a PITA. Chrysler should have copied what GM did with the little door in the distributor cap and the Allen wrench process. Much easier.  :ohyeah:

schlett7nu1

What's the part number stamped on the advance flange?

anlauto

Interesting your car had that in 1970, I always thought it was a 71 thing. learn something new everyday  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Skdmark

I don't know about fit / function difference between the part numbers.
However, I have seen several variations in the color of the electronic box (black vs white) and wiring connections (bullet vs spade).

For example
http://www.bradsnosmopar.com/nosmo7038div.html
https://www.moparmall.com/MoPar-3514330-3438262-Vacuum-Advance-w-Solenoid-p/865-118.htm
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

schlett7nu1

Looking at other Mopar forums:
3438231 distrubutor 383 2bbl uses 3514331 advance
3438222 distrubutor 440 4bbl uses 3514330 advance
Not correct for my engine.

headejm

I didn't see a p/n on the vacuum advance canister but the black box has 26720134 stamped on it in ink/paint. Difficult to read a couple of the numbers.

schlett7nu1