Main Menu

70 Carter AVS 4BBL

Started by 7E-Bodies, January 29, 2024, 06:35:27 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

A question for Carter gurus. My NM 70 440 was in the engine shop for quite a while, yet they were fairly strict with keeping parts together on engine jobs. Just before the break in and dyno, they called saying "we can't seem to connect your stock (53) automatic choke, it's like the linkage is wrong, but don't worry, we'll proceed without since you won't be driving in cold weather anyway". I didn't give it much thought until I got it home and painted it and began putting on the peripherals. Then it hit me that I had seen a roughly 3/8" thick fiber type base in my parts which might make the choke linkage line up. Now, as organized as my shop is, I can't find that base gasket/spacer anywhere. How would I go about finding the correct one or a correct repop when I'm not sure of the thickness? I know this is also a heat barrier that I'll need, or so I'm reading. The carter is original to the car and has been rebuilt by Scott Smith at Harms. It's a 4738S that came on my 440 auto. Somebody help me crack this puzzle.  :help:
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

198D13

Scott Smith is the "Carter Guru", you should ask him.

EV2RTSE

The choke itself seems to be the right one for an AVS. It sounds like maybe the choke well cup and gasket went missing?
Did anyone add a carb spacer?

https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/choke-well-cup-gasket/

7E-Bodies

@EV2RTSE I have the cup well gasket, but the choke linkage is too long, meaning the carb is too low. I'm missing the carb base plate (that I had) that I remember being around 3/8" thick. I'm thinking that thickness would bring the choke linkage in line with the carb.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Mr Cuda