Main Menu

Piston pin lubrication

Started by Mrbill426, April 15, 2021, 08:37:55 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

As I understand it 340s all have full floating piston pins.  How are they lubricated?  My stock rods do not have any drilled holes in the small end and the replacement forged pistons are not drilled or slotted at the pin holes.  The small ends have been re-bushed with bronze bushings.  I don't have the stock pistons any longer to compare to.   Are these simply splash lubricated?

1 Wild R/T

Splash only... Some folks drill a hole on the top of the rod into the pin bushing....  Pistons typically have a couple diagonal holes, one on each pin boss...

Mrbill426

I looked at pistons and rods for holes and found none, but I suppose if splash only works for these engines then okay.

Thanks

Mrbill426

I called my machine shop and the (old) guy there who has worked Chrysler engines for some time also said they are splashed lubricated.
Thanks guys  :bigthumb:

jimynick

Take some consolation from the fact that Mother Mopar's engineers designed and were happy with their efforts. The combination of the pin/piston clearance, bronze bushings and/or piston oil paths and the amount of oil being thrown around at the engine speeds where that lubrication might be an issue, all conspire to make it work.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Mrbill426

Makes sense.  :bigthumb:

Quote from: jimynick on April 16, 2021, 07:04:46 PM
Take some consolation from the fact that Mother Mopar's engineers designed and were happy with their efforts. The combination of the pin/piston clearance, bronze bushings and/or piston oil paths and the amount of oil being thrown around at the engine speeds where that lubrication might be an issue, all conspire to make it work.  :cheers: