Main Menu

727 new slip yoke and bushing play

Started by hive77, September 02, 2020, 08:30:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

hive77

Hi,

my first post and that without an introduction, sorry for that. (will follow, promised)
I am currently restoring a 73 Challenger 340cui with 727 auto trans.

My "problem", I had vibrations while driving.
After checking the vehicle from below, I saw that the rubber bracket for the transmission extension housing was completely moved to one side.
The cardan shaft ran offset. Also the universal joints doesnt looked good and the slip yoke had play also.
I have now pressed in a new bushing and bought a new Slip Yoke (the old one was badly corroded and a bit worn in)
Now iam confused, my new slip yoke an bushing have an estimated 0.3 mm / 0,11811 inches lateral play from side to side. Is that normal?
The bushing went in hardly, i.e. I assume that the extension housing hole for the bushing is ok.
Got the slip yoke from a German dealer, not sure if it is the right one. ( i cant imagine that there is a slip yoke orderable with approx. +0,11811 inches more in diameter)
Bushing came from rockauto. I ordered two types, one rolled bushing type with rabbet, one bushing without rabbet. (I installed the bushing without rabbet because it looked higher grade)

I am not sure if it is ok to drive with that kind of Play. :notsure:

Thanks for your feedback!

Best regards from Austria

Ingo

Katfish

How does it compare to the original yoke.
I wouldn't expect much play.
Drive it and see if the vibration is gone.
If not, I'd go back to the original yoke.
Some of the aftermarket parts are not up to factory specs.

hive77

Katfish

Is does seem like there's more play with the new yoke.
If you have a caliper it would be easy to measure the OD.
Harbor Freight has a digital caliper for <$20, always a useful tool to have.
From what I see, I'd use the factory yoke.
Take some sandpaper, maybe 220 first then 400 grit and clean it up and you'll be good.

JonH

The bushings will compress a little when installed. Put it in and forget about it...

RUNCHARGER

Factory yokes are longer as well usually.
Sheldon