Main Menu

727 Pan Suggestions Please

Started by 7E-Bodies, August 25, 2019, 02:33:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Now that the 727 is rebuilt and like new, I fear the Torque Fright screen door curse of leaks. The stock pan, which I'd prefer to keep on, looks pretty good, but I've never had one that didn't leak. Is sacrifice OEM in this one instance to avoid the puddles. Opinions?  Suggestions?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

7212Mopar

I have an aluminum +2 qts pan and it leaks. Problem was solved with Threadlocker pan gasket dressed with Permatex anaerobic gasket sealer. Not even a single drop since.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Stock pan is rarely the real problem....  Use this gasket....
https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Dakota-Trans-Gasket-46RE/dp/B0049ED7JO

Since it's rebuilt the shop should have replaced the shift shaft seal & kickdown lever seal... Also the rear band anchor pin O ring & hopefully filled the cavity with RTV...  That leaves the dipstick tube seal... I'm sure they gave you a new O ring.. Well those are about 50% effective... 

The real fix is a new design dipstick tube and seal but I know you want stock looking... So I have two options use the stock tube with the new O ring & roll the dice... Do you feel lucky? Well do ya Punk??  Sorry, Clint was on TV... LOL...

Option two something I've done a few times buy the new design dipstick tube & seal, cut it about 2" above where the seal rides, cut the stock tube the same way.. Weld the two together, now you have a stock looking tube that actually seals 100%....

https://www.manciniracing.com/man904diptub.html

7E-Bodies

@1 Wild R/T, that's exactly the gasket he gave me. We rebuilt the trans together. He's the owner of a large shop that sympathizes with the "Transmissionally Challenged" and enjoys teaching hobbyists. He replaced every seal. I was a bit shocked at the piss-poor Chrysler fit at the dipstick tube socket. The new O ring is the only thing making contact at that point. I think Chrysler could've tried a little harder to make that joint a bit more snug. I may look into your idea of welding the lower portion of a new one on, but Mig is all I have. I'm a tig-less wonder, even though I have experience.

7E-Bodies

@7212Mopar I will get some of that sealer, even though my transmission guy said not to use sealer. I've just seen too many of these things drool. Thank you.

1 Wild R/T

That pan gasket truly does not need sealer...  And while TIG would be the ideal choice I've use wire feed on every one I've done the repair to...

mopar jack

I have found a weak spot on the stock pan that caused my leak problems. Due to a stamping defect the pan flexes between two bolts, see attached pic. Don't know if all pans have this notch but the two I have do.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: mopar jack on August 26, 2019, 12:14:01 PM
I have found a weak spot on the stock pan that caused my leak problems. Due to a stamping defect the pan flexes between two bolts, see attached pic. Don't know if all pans have this notch but the two I have do.

Two fixes for that... #1 slightly bend the flange toward the gasket... #2 add a flat bar reinforcement between those to bolts..

mopar jack

I fixed it with some 3/8 angle bar from the Depot and knock on wood there are no leaks. Here is a pic I posted before.

1 Wild R/T

7E-Bodies

@1 Wild R/T I actually thought of making some 1/4" flat keeper "keys" to help disperse bolt pressure on the pan flange...along the same lines. Good idea.

7E-Bodies

I did use a press and slightly dimpled outward each bolt hole after meticulously tweaking the flange flat.

chargerdon

Threadlocker gasket worked for me !!  No other sealers.. 

7E-Bodies