Main Menu

EFI suggestions with 600+ hp

Started by dave73, September 13, 2018, 08:21:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

Anyone here running an efi setup with a motor putting out more than 600 hp? Looks like the MSD atomic setup supports up to 620, FiTech has an option that supports up to 600. Any recommendations on a setup?

While I haven't had my motor dynoed yet, very similar builds are in the 600-650 range. My concern is being at the top end of the limit for an efi system and issues I may run into because of that.

303 Mopar

The 505ci stroker in my Charger has 440 hp 530 tq at the wheels has a Holley Sniper and runs fantastic!  I would say I am at the edge though, so anything more I would recommend moving up.

ledphoot

Holley Sniper 650 does up to 650HP
https://www.holley.com/brands/holley_efi/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/super_sniper_efi_650/

and the 1250 will more than cover your needs ;)
https://www.holley.com/brands/holley_efi/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_4bbl_tbi_kits/super_sniper_efi_1250/

I have purchased the 650 and their dual sync distributor for my small block stroker which is ~500HP... My brother is running the MSD Atomic on his 340, it works great, but it's only ~400HP

1 Wild R/T

FiTech has 400hp, 600hp, 650ho, 800hp, 1200hp......  Not saying it's the best option, there are certainly better systems but the FiTech systems do offer allot for the money & most who own them are quite pleased....

HP_Cuda

I remember when FITech came out everyone sang their praises and now it's a pretty mixed bag.

Has time provided a spotlight for it's shortcomings?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: HP_Cuda on September 13, 2018, 12:53:52 PM

I remember when FITech came out everyone sang their praises and now it's a pretty mixed bag.

From what I've seen, it's either:

A blatant quality issue, like an injector o-ring missing.

Or an install error. RPM signal noise, using too coarse of a fuel filter and clogging an injector or just pushing buttons and not really taking the time to understand the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

I built my own , 1200 CFM affufab T body , 85 lb/ hr Bosch injectors , SDS EFI controller , twin 3/8" fuels lines with twin Walbro pumps 1 feeding each side
single 3/8" return line , worked perfectly over 700 hp

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 13, 2018, 01:02:38 PM

Or an install error. RPM signal noise, using too coarse of a fuel filter and clogging an injector or just pushing buttons and not really taking the time to understand the system.

Thing is you can have issues with any system... I know guys with the Holley stuff that have had issues, I know of problems with MSD & FAST... I know a guy with a Haltec ($$$$) that had trouble.... I had a problem with my FiTech, I isolated it & FiTech replaced the bad component.... I wasn't thrilled but for what the FiTech cost & all the good things it has going for it I have no real complaints....  I know it's not the best system out there but honestly for what I'm doing it's so far above carburetors & completely adequate for my needs....

Goodie has one on his father in laws truck, he has Megasquirt on his Cuda & he's mentioned adding FiTech to his new dart....   Sounds like vote of approval to me.... 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 13, 2018, 01:44:57 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 13, 2018, 01:02:38 PM

Thing is you can have issues with any system... I know guys with the Holley stuff that have had issues, I know of problems with MSD & FAST... I know a guy with a Haltec ($$$$) that had trouble.... I had a problem with my FiTech, I isolated it & FiTech replaced the bad component.... I wasn't thrilled but for what the FiTech cost & all the good things it has going for it I have no real complaints....  I know it's not the best system out there but honestly for what I'm doing it's so far above carburetors & completely adequate for my needs....

Goodie has one on his father in laws truck, he has Megasquirt on his Cuda & he's mentioned adding FiTech to his new dart....   Sounds like vote of approval to me....

I actually would lean toward trying the Holley Sniper on one of my rigs.

The FiTech settings and the handheld is just a little too basic for me. Coming from a wide open megasquirt unit, the Holley seems like it may be a little more suited to what I'm looking to get out of it...but I wouldn't turn my back on a well priced FiTech.

It's also nice that Holley now has a spreadbore version, that's really nice for those running a stock intake.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

gzig5

Edelbrock has the pro flow 4, which is a port injection system that looks pretty attractive.  More expensive than the FITech and Sniper but it should be even more responsive and tune-able considering there is a separate injector for each cylinder.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: gzig5 on September 13, 2018, 02:12:43 PM
Edelbrock has the pro flow 4, which is a port injection system that looks pretty attractive.  More expensive than the FITech and Sniper but it should be even more responsive and tune-able considering there is a separate injector for each cylinder.

For the average user, going to sequential doesn't offer many benefits over a basic tbi.

It's also aesthetically very different, if that is a concern. It is for many.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ledphoot

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 14, 2018, 06:41:44 AM

For the average user, going to sequential doesn't offer many benefits over a basic tbi.

The Pro Flow 4 ECU looks like it is a bit more advanced than the Sniper / Fi-Tech / Atomic ECU's, offering more TUNEABILITY, combined with better atomization / more consistent air-fuel mixture for each cylinder, sequential will run marginally better / more efficient / smoother... In these old muscle cars with big cams and loud pipes will you be able to tell the difference? :) I doubt it.

The TBI give me all the goodness I want @ a price point that's not too much beyond a quality carburetor.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ledphoot on September 14, 2018, 08:36:23 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on September 14, 2018, 06:41:44 AM

The Pro Flow 4 ECU looks like it is a bit more advanced than the Sniper / Fi-Tech / Atomic ECU's, offering more TUNEABILITY, combined with better atomization / more consistent air-fuel mixture for each cylinder, sequential will run marginally better / more efficient / smoother... In these old muscle cars with big cams and loud pipes will you be able to tell the difference? :) I doubt it.

Without individual cylinder fuel trims, it's not all that much better. It's a LOT less forgiving as well.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

ledphoot

Thus the words: Marginally Better ;)

If I were doing it all over again TODAY I'd just put a crate 392 Hemi in and call it good. 485 reliable horsepower, good enough for me.

Crash520

I'm using the FAST XFI Sportsman 2.0 on my 408 W2, closed chamber, 11.5 Cr, it's making 600 flywheel, I chose TBI, for various reasons, I love that I can have multiple tunes, one for street, one for strip, data logging and so on, I'm sure there are others out there that will do the same, I liked this one.
Greg
Brisbane
Australia