Main Menu

727 shifts late

Started by culp71, July 18, 2018, 06:19:41 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HP_Cuda on July 19, 2018, 11:39:40 AM

So I was right all along, Thanks Wild I'll take my apology now.

:haha:

You can have all the apologies you'd like but first I think Culp needs to take another look.....  That 100% looks like an adjustment....  Here's a picture of correct 340 linkage.... Have a look at the down rod....  Oh, while your at it look it over for other adjustments....

73_Cuda_4_Me

There are a couple different styles of kick-down... my 73 340 has a 'one piece' rod (although there are really 2), and the adjustment is just behind the throttle linkage... picture shows where it gets adjusted (arrow)...

:alan2cents:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Shane Kelley

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 19, 2018, 04:25:12 PM
Quote from: HP_Cuda on July 19, 2018, 11:39:40 AM

So I was right all along, Thanks Wild I'll take my apology now.

:haha:

You can have all the apologies you'd like but first I think Culp needs to take another look.....  That 100% looks like an adjustment....  Here's a picture of correct 340 linkage.... Have a look at the down rod....  Oh, while your at it look it over for other adjustments....
And that is exactly like what's on my 71 340 in the Road Runner. And the rear down rod adjust just like was mentioned. I'm starting to wonder if the pic that Culp posted is his car or just a reference pic.   :thinking:Because the pic posted is definitely adjustable.

HP_Cuda

The mystery deepens, where did this kick down come from?
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: HP_Cuda on July 20, 2018, 11:52:41 AM

The mystery deepens, where did this kick down come from?

As I mentioned before, it looks like Aspen/Volare parts.... 

chargerdon

I don't even know if the kickdown linkages i have are correct for either of my two cars, ...but they work. 

I have a 66 charger 383...  its kickdown linkage is very similar to the pic shown... i.e. there are two threaded rods...one to lengthen or shorten the rod from the Carb to the top  fulcrom, and the second is the down rod behind the fulcrom to lengthen or shorten it. 

On my 74 Challenger with 360 (originally a 318 car so probably the linkage for a 318 is what i have)  neither of those two rods are adjustable, but the rod that attaches to the lever on the tranny is adjustable for length by pushing it further thru the slide connector or further thru the slide connector right at the tranny.   

Both work well...   

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: chargerdon on July 20, 2018, 01:31:23 PM
I don't even know if the kickdown linkages i have are correct for either of my two cars, ...but they work. 

I have a 66 charger 383...  its kickdown linkage is very similar to the pic shown... i.e. there are two threaded rods...one to lengthen or shorten the rod from the Carb to the top  fulcrom, and the second is the down rod behind the fulcrom to lengthen or shorten it. 

On my 74 Challenger with 360 (originally a 318 car so probably the linkage for a 318 is what i have)  neither of those two rods are adjustable, but the rod that attaches to the lever on the tranny is adjustable for length by pushing it further thru the slide connector or further thru the slide connector right at the tranny.   

Both work well...

All that matters... :alan2cents:

chargerdon

Assuming, you have the throttle rod adjusted properly or close to it, and shifting is still late, then i would contact the tranny builder and let them know.   I know that there is a governor in the tail section that governs the shift line pressure.   I believe there are two adjustment screws on the inside on the valve body that control line pressure/shift points as well.   

culp71

I got this figure out!
as I rebuilt the tranny I figured it had to be something else...
The linkage it self only has one adjustment point, (the slide by the carb but maxed in either direction still didn't change my  shifting issue) BUT where the rod connects to the tranny arm, this arm has a set screw, I had originally set it back to where it had always been, very evident by the indentation mark on the flat side of the rod, but this ended up being the issue. so after freaking out about everything major that could be an issue I decided to go back to the simple connections to and from the tranny itself.

It would shift too late, so I started shifted the connection a little forward at a time got to the point where it just got worse, then from frustration I slide it about 2-3 inches in the opposite direction, almost compressing the spring on the tranny lever all the way, (which didn't make sense to me) but took it for a drive and it shifts perfectly now, I have a feeling the lever on the tranny is not "correct" one, (length/offset etc.) as the throw and angle is kind of odd, but it works correctly now. so smooth, and at the correct rpm's, but still shifts later when I put the pedal down.