Main Menu

727 Transmission oil

Started by Cdnchallenger, June 11, 2024, 02:46:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cdnchallenger

Hi,

I have a 727 auto in my 70 challenger.
looking for transmission fluid.
Is there a specific product i should use or is a regular "generic" brand all that i need?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Read your dipstick.   It simply says ATF on the older 727's and 904's.   ATF+3 and +4 didn't exist back in 1960's and 70s.

So in my 66 Charger 727 I simply use ATF.  It has run perfectly since it was rebuilt 15 years ago.
 Walmart sells it very inexpensively currently they have a gallon for $20 while ATF+4 runs $10 quart or $40 gal.  A 727 holds around 11 qts so $110 for ATF+4 or $40 for plain ole ATF.  Some people say use ATF type F (F for Ford) and that its a little higher viscosity so gives more solid shifts.  I have shift improver kit in my 66 Charger and its shifts are nice and crisp with just ATF. 

Hey, you can buy and put in ATF+4 if you want and feel that "only the best for my car" but i view it as kinda like putting in 93 octane at $4.25 a gallon in a car designed to only need 87 octane...it works but your pouring $$$ out your tailpipe.   

In my 74 Challenger i have a 1993 vintage A518.   Its dipstick says Dexron III and that is what i buy.   It runs just fine.   

MoparLeo

ATF+4 is backwards compatable. The transmission does not "use or burn" the fluid so it is a one time fill. The current lubrication technology is light years ahead of what it was even 10-20 years ago. The new stuff is usually a synthetic blend with modern friction modifiers. Proper pan bolt torque is very important and use a good filter
Your transmission is a lot more valuable/expensive than a fluid change.
Make sure to dollow the FSM procedure for draining and setting the proper fluid level.
Free FSM downloads here. Juct click on it.
https://mymopar.com//font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...