Main Menu

8-3/4 Experts, Lend me an ear...

Started by 7E-Bodies, September 09, 2021, 11:05:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Ok guys, the 8-3/4 is disassembled, stripped of paint, refinished nicely, center chunk is new in box from Cass at Dr. Diff and he also sent me new Timken tapered bearings and seal kit.

It's obvious the bearing collars are pressed on (forgive my terminology as I don't have my factory manual in front of me). So here's my list of dumb questions:

1.) Is there any way I can do this on my own or do I need a shop with a press? (I'm scared of some kid scratching the seal area on the axles, the factory manual shows a protective .002" collar that is probably no longer in circulation.)

2.) Is it imperative to have any seals in place before pressing on the new parts? (I could've unboxed them and looked myself, but I'm not in my shop)

3.) Do any of you have the "been there, done that" warnings or encouragement for me?

4.) Any tricks to pressing in the billet plate replacement bolts from Dr. Diff? (I got the shorter originals out with no problem)

My shop is fairly well tooled, minus a press, special axle bearing puller and a dial indicator and I have a good mechanical sense, yet almost zero experience with diffs. I'll be getting the dial indicator for the required .008-.018 right side play and I also splurged for Dr Diff's heavier billet plates.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Rich G.

If you're talking about the axles, using the tapered bearings, the outer seal goes on before the bearing. Be sure to  grease the bearings. No way you're getting the bearings on without a press. Inner seal goes in the housing. Don't be afraid to slide the axles in , just go slow and you won't damage the seals.