Main Menu

8.75 Sure Grip Question

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 28, 2021, 05:07:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I have a nice 489 carrier with 3.23 gears and factory sure grip. I'd like to replace the clutches in the sure grip before putting it back in but I really don't want to spend the dough to have it professionally done.

If I pull the caps and remove the center chunk to work on the sure grip, will re-installing it change the setup on the ring and pinion? I know the pinion depth won't change because I'm not removing it. As I understand it, the side adjusters set preload on the bearings which I will not be changing.

I could check the current preload before removing it completely and then copy that when I put it back in. Would that give me the exact same gear setup or is that a risky maneuver?

GoodysGotaCuda

The side adjusters do more than just set preload on the carrier bearings, they adjust the backlash as well. You can't really "check" the preload on the carrier bearings as easy as one would assume. However, it's not a hyper critical parameter either.

Most importantly you will need the tools necessary to check the backlash before then get it back there again after. You will also need some tools to turn the adjusters as well. It's not like a shimmed Dana where you just knock the shims in and go.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

70 Challenger Lover

I was afraid it wouldn't be simple!

1971Y13

The 489 has a cone Suregrip without clutches and needs to be replaced.
1971 'Cuda
1968 GTX