Main Menu

904 valve body ID

Started by dylo, January 29, 2021, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dylo

Hey guys,

Who knows if this is a stock valve body?

I'm in need of some general trans info and ID of this valve body from my 904 Trans. My barracuda has been sitting around for 35 years and when we got it the only info was that it had a manual possibly reverse valve body. I however, really don't think it does. The only clue was the kickdown lever had been wired shut and there was no kickdown linkage.

I have recently got the car running and drove it around the block only about 10 mins before I realised the trans had issues. It does shift (slides) from first into second automatically. Most shifts are pretty sloppy. Haven't been able to get third, possibly haven't got up enough speed? Could these problems just be loose bands in the trans and a lack of kickdown linkage?

The only thing on the car that isn't numbers matching is this trans and it is behind a stock 2bbl 318. It's dated a '70 904 though. The valve body says KCP 2801295 from '69. It doesn't look like other pics I've seen of 904 valve bodies.

This is the last piece of the puzzle before this car finally sees the road again.
Thanks all.

1 Wild R/T

Well, since 904 & 727 valve bodies interchange that part matches, since it has the late style comb it's 69 or newer so that matches... Just a guess but it appears to be stock... The missing lockdown isn't good, the lockdown wired shut? Forward? Or rearward?  If rearward the TV pressure will be maxed causing no upshift to 3rd till probably 5500 rpm... I'd start with getting a working lockdown on it & I wouldn't be surprised if it has other issues.. Generally when someone starts doing things like wiring the lockdown they are trying to mask other problems...

dylo

Thanks for the info.

It was wired forward - so no pressure increase I guess? What would occur in this situation?

A few bits of clutch material in the pan but good fluid. Is there an easy way to check the clutches when it's still in the vehicle? I have found the bands seem super loose so will fix that up and have the kickdown cable to install.

1 Wild R/T

Wired forward = no TV pressure, early soft shifts/burnt clutches & bands... It should go into high gear before twenty MPH... The fact it doesn't points to other problems....

What constitutes super loose bands? The front band lever should move about 3/8" If you adjust it to tight the band drags & gets burnt...

Rear band is similar but even more clearance..

dylo

Ok a quick measurement reveals the front band lever travels 1/2" and the rear is about 5/16" travel. So if I couple this with a tied up kickdown lever how would you expect the transmission would react?

1 Wild R/T

Soft early shifts, likely burnt clutches & bands but it should have all gears.. The fact it doesn't means either the valve body or the direct clutch has a problem....

moparroy

I had to crack mine open to determine that in fact it was modified. Things to look for - check balls removed, springs removed / replaced with solid pieces (rod or ball), holes drilled in strategic places to increase flow, possible customer separator plate. Mine luckily had not been drilled- but one check ball and 3 springs were missing and had a B&M separator plate. I am leaving the shift kit in but detuning it to HD street where it was set to race spec Interesting thing is the same shift kit still exists / available today - and mind has been sitting at least 20 years (in my garage) and I would guess another 10+ before that. Sometimes accumulator or servo springs / parts changed also - were they all in place and stock?

dylo

Roy, yes i did pull it apart and found it was stock looking in all the areas you mentioned all balls and springs were in there. Couldn't find any crap stuck in the valve body either. I did the air pressure test on the front and rear clutches and the front and rear bands and it all checked out. I just adjusted the bands and I'm about to install the kickdown cable and see what happens when its back on the ground.

dylo

Just a follow up post for closure.

I after the band adjustments, flushing out the valve-body, new fluid and finally putting on a kickdown cable, the gearbox works beautifully and kicks down gears like a demon! Pretty happy I don't need a (immediate) rebuild. Time will tell how it copes, as always.

Thanks for your help guys.
Dylo