Main Menu

A833 with od won’t mate to engine 😠

Started by Purepony, November 21, 2020, 10:49:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Tried mating the 833 to a la360 block and it won't mate. Am I missing something ?

I thought the clutch disc was installed wrong and verified it's not (flat side facing flywheel engine)
But that's not it. I installed a borg beck clutch but it won't mate!

I tried bellhousing first fail !
Then as a whole bellhkusing and trans and fail !

What's left to do any ideas ?

Called a local muscle car shop but doesn't really want to do it becauee it's a mopar he said those are a drag so that didn't help.

Any ideas 💡
Thanks everyone

anlauto

Is the crankshaft drill for a pilot bearing ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

Hi Alan thanks for the reply. Yes I believe it is becauee I remove the clutch and plate, left the flywheel on only and it mated smoothly. spinned  the yoke on the trans and no issue.

I'm assuming if the bearing was wrong or not deep enough it wouldn't mate at all no ?

I'm thinking it's the pressure plate? It's a Mc loud beck borg

It will mate for about a half way then stop once the clutch and plate are back in

I thought  the bearing was binding but no

☹️

Rich G.

What doesn't go in? Did you see if the disc and pilot bearing slides on to the trans first? Mopar installation is no different then any other car. Find a different mechanic!

Purepony

Quote from: Rich G. on November 21, 2020, 11:01:57 AM
What doesn't go in? Did you see if the disc and pilot bearing slides on to the trans first? Mopar installation is no different then any other car. Find a different mechanic!
Appears the shaft won't go into the clutch disc all the way because of the three arms on the pressure plate

Yes pilot slides to shaft along with the disc. That's why I assumed the disc was installed wrong but after verifying it's right

I'm in ca not a lot of mopar people out here. Mostly Chevy and ford people.i had a really good mopar mechanic but he quit that shop. I was close to Resto by Julius but I think his place is closed now ?

anlauto

They won't just "fall in" if everything is lined up, and you have about a 1/2" gap between the tranny case and the bellhousing, use longer bolts to pull the tranny in...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparCarGuy

Another item to check is the bearing retainer diameter. The OD A833s had larger bearing retainers than earlier non-OD units. If the bellhousing has a smaller hole size, the transmission will not mate up.
Did you previously mock up the bellhousing on the transmission?

Shoooter

I was just going to say check the bell housing.  I belive there is three different bearing retainer size bell housing. Small black ,big block and OD. 

Rich G.

The only thing that hits the fingers on the pressure plate is the throw out bearing and that shouldn't even be an issue. That will move back and forth to get your adjustments. If it's bottoming out on the trans before you can get it in maybe it's the wrong one. Does that slide on the front collar?

Purepony

Quote from: Rich G. on November 21, 2020, 11:25:06 AM
The only thing that hits the fingers on the pressure plate is the throw out bearing and that shouldn't even be an issue. That will move back and forth to get your adjustments. If it's bottoming out on the trans before you can get it in maybe it's the wrong one. Does that slide on the front collar?

It only slides half way then it won't go further. I'm thinking it's the clutch becauee without the clutch it goes in

Do you think I can try to mock it with with the clutch disc and only the pressure plate on ? Would that indicate anything ?

Purepony

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on November 21, 2020, 11:18:58 AM
Another item to check is the bearing retainer diameter. The OD A833s had larger bearing retainers than earlier non-OD units. If the bellhousing has a smaller hole size, the transmission will not mate up.
Did you previously mock up the bellhousing on the transmission?

Yes I did mock it and everything lines connects without the clutch disc and the pressure plate.

Once I add the clutch disc and pressure plate it won't adapt

Purepony

Quote from: anlauto on November 21, 2020, 11:10:16 AM
They won't just "fall in" if everything is lined up, and you have about a 1/2" gap between the tranny case and the bellhousing, use longer bolts to pull the tranny in...

Use the bolts to mate it? Isn't there a chance the bellhkusing can crack doing that ?
I don't know so asking

JS29

Yes and or break an ear off of the transmission.   :yes:

anlauto

Depends on if you feel you're really having to force it....the bolts should draw the tranny in pretty easy...with just a wrench on the bolts...

ek3

IF the trans. goes all the way up flush with out the disc, then you are simply not aligned .. I find and old input shaft works better than the plastic tool you get in a kit. it may take 2-3 times but you should loosen the pressure plate up and wiggle the tool in all directions to get the disc centered .. they can be mean, but that sounds like all it is if it goes on without the disc.........did you check engine rotation with only the p.plate and disc installed ? the - wrong -  p.plate can hit the bellhousing !!