Main Menu

AAR 340 Oil, Cars been Sitting along time!

Started by FIAARMN, May 16, 2020, 10:31:20 AM

Previous topic Next topic

FIAARMN

All,best I can say is the car has been sitting for a few years (unknown)

Getting ready to get it started again and will be doing all the fluids. Question, what oil should I convert to since I do not know what oil was ran in the car before? I know it is the original motor, but was refreshed in the 1990's after there was an issue in the early 1970's with it (original motor) and removed from the car.... refreshed and re-installed in the 90's (family rumor, it had a piston issue). What oil synthetic or conventional?  Weight Choice?

Going to pull all the plugs, put mystery oil down on top of the pistons and let sit for a good amount of time, then manually turn the crank ... might repeat this a couple of times.

Off course I will be draining the fuel from the tank (about a gallon that smells bad)  adding gas, running it to a bucket and so forth.... then put a new filter on.  All the fuel lines look replaced at some point and appear to be good.

Any other suggestions or tips getting this beast ready to roar again?
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

JS29

My  :alan2cents:, A wix oil filter, Old engines require an oil with zinc additive. I understand diesel engine oil contains it. I think i would stay away from synthetic for now any way. NAPA has WIX filters.  :cheers:

Chryco Psycho

Zinc is a Must !! VR1 10/30 if you can find it or Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn or at least a zinc additive everytime you change the oil  . Stay away from anything SN rated , you really want SJ rating or Sl at worst , the Gibbs & Penn are special formulations for older engines , I am not sure if either have an SAE S rating at all .
In the past I have added a qt of diesel fuel & idled it for 5 mins before draining the old oil then changed oil this will clean out the old oil & dirt  .

hanksemenec

From long time neighbor, he used to wrench for race crew,  recommendation is Wix and dinosaur oil (Quakerstate).

JS29

WIX is the best filter out there. NAPA brand are WIX filters.  :1place:

Chryco Psycho

I agree with the exception of maybe the K&N , Mobil 1 &  Purolator synthetic media filters .

RUNCHARGER

WIX is fine. I like JoeGibbs or Brad Penn oil 10-40 or 10-30.
Sheldon

Bullitt-

with fresh oil prime the engine with one of these..
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p4286800
requires distributor & pump drive gear removal 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

JS29

I was thinking about saying something about priming the oil pump.  :bigthumb:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FIAARMN

Thanks all

Will do on the oil with zinc and priming the pump.... I always use wix filters........
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

JS29