Main Menu

Adjusting valves/ pushrods on T/A heads

Started by 72 Challenger, May 14, 2022, 09:42:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72 Challenger

I need my e-body family again!

My Duster developed a nice knock while in winter storage. Due to my own lack of knowledge, I didn't think adjustable valves because I have never owned a small block mopar  that had adjustable valves.

Today I learnt that T/A heads have adjustable valves.

My question is how? Hold the screw with a screw driver and tighten or loosen the nut? Anyone have a step by step? I have never adjusted a valve in my life.

I'm aware I could have a dead lifter but I'm trying to rule that out. I'd like to adjust the valve and then turn the motor over and see if the issue persists.

All advice welcome.

I did rip the oil filter apart and found no metal in it at all so I'm fairly confident the camshaft is okay.
Someday I will have a J0b.

Rich G.

The nut is the lock, loosen the nut and turn the screw to adjust the valve. And then tighten the nut to lock the adjustment.

anlauto

Prior to the 340 becoming popular, most A Bodies came with a 273...They all had adjustable rockers that "look" like the famous expensive T/A rockers, but they are not the same at all..
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparLeo

My standard answer on most questions on this site is to look it up in the FSM, ( Factory Service Manual) available free on this site.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

bentpshrods

I put the 273 adjustable rockers om mine. Set the valve lash at zero using this sequence. 

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]