Main Menu

Air breather question

Started by blown motor, December 30, 2020, 11:42:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I have an open air filter on my 440. How tall does the filter need to be to get enough air to supply an 800 cfm carb?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Burdar

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x693421

Engine masters air cleaner shootout.  The stock BB dual snorkel faired a lot better then I thought it would.

Scooter

Quote from: Burdar on December 30, 2020, 11:58:56 AM

Engine masters air cleaner shootout.  The stock BB dual snorkel faired a lot better then I thought it would.

^^^ Good info there! I'm running the "bug eye" as you have zero hood clearance issues using one. Does not seem to effect my mild 360 but who knows.  I'm using a 1/2 inch phenolic carb spacer I'd like to keep. Might grab a 14 x 3 with a drop base and see it it will fit.

blown motor

Quote from: Burdar on December 30, 2020, 11:58:56 AM

Great video @Burdar but I'm confused. The engine makes 760 hp. The dual snorkel Mopar caused a drop of 53 hp but they said it was only good for 390 hp. What happened to the rest of the hp?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

I like to have 3" but the filter top makes a lot of power / air flow & it is straight into the carb , so you can use 2.5 & the top & it works very well !

6bblgt

Quote from: blown motor on December 30, 2020, 07:59:10 PM
Great video @Burdar but I'm confused. The engine makes 760 hp. The dual snorkel Mopar caused a drop of 53 hp but they said it was only good for 390 hp. What happened to the rest of the hp?

their "up to" horsepower ratings were where there was no horsepower loss

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 30, 2020, 08:19:11 PM
I like to have 3" but the filter top makes a lot of power / air flow & it is straight into the carb , so you can use 2.5 & the top & it works very well !

Odd thing was the 3" with the drop base without the filter top fared better than the same setup with a filter top.  :dunno:

I scrounged up a chrome Edelbrock with a drop base and 3" filter that used to sit atop the Holley 750DP in my Fairlane... and it fits! Going to roll with this setup for a bit.

Is there any good reason to use a K&N filter over a standard WIX paper?

Chryco Psycho

Scooter

Been running the 3" filter for about a week. Noticed the 360 is running just a hair leaner than with the bug eye filter. AFR hit's 15 occasionally now and did not before. So there is tangible evidence it is breathing better.

MoparLeo

Your car will flow maximum cfm's at maximum rpm. How often do you drive flat out ? Race car or street car ? Different filter for different application. An 850 CFM carb does not automatically actually flow that much and then only at certain engine speeds. A carb can only flow as much air as you can get into the combustion chamber and then get out. An engine is like an hour glass. Big at either end and a restriction in the middle./font]
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...