Main Menu

Alt alignment

Started by tparker, June 28, 2021, 09:53:22 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I checked around and it seems a few people also have an issue with the alt lining up with the crank and water pump pulleys, but I haven't really seen a solution or explanation.

My car was originally a 318 with a/c which means the crank pulley has 3 belt grooves and the alt has two. I ditched the 318 for a 340 and of course everything worked. Now I am putting it back together and the alt doesn't line up. It is back about 1/4 inch or so. The a/c is is not installed, but that wouldn't change the pulley planes. The crank pulley and water pump seem to be lined up to each other. I have a different Alt and I can't remember if I got a new Alt adjusting bracket or not. It is one that bolts to the block as well as the water pump. But I can't imagine that being the issue, could it?

I believe everything is installed correctly. Two spacers for the alt and the water pump bracket on the inside of the alternators ears. The adjustment bracket is on the outside of the water pump bracket.

Are alternators and the pulleys different? It seems my old alt and new alt have different distances between the pulley face and the rear dog ear. Is it a common issue? How do people solve it? Extra washers to push the alt out more? Are there different size alt spacers? Maybe I have a short one in the rear where it mounts to the head.

Any help would be great. I can supply pics if needed.

I have

HP2

There can be numerous reasons for this mis-alignment - balancer not installed fully, mis-matched pulleys, thick spacer in the alternator not pressed into the same spot, pulleys on alternators not fully pressed, mis-matched brackets for alternators or steering pumps, and so on.

Solutions will also vary from pressing any of these assorted pulleys/spacers/balancer in our out  to adding spacers and changing brackets.

tparker

OK, I sorta got it figured out. I deleted the A/C, for now. I am having a hard time finding photos that show the belts with only alt and power steering (without idler arm). I found a couple but they had a chevy bracket. Does any one have photos of the belts with power steering?

It looks like the power steering lines up with the crank and water pump pulley. The alt lines up with an the crank pulley, but not the water pump. Would that be correct? Apparently I need different belts. LOL.

Thanks