Main Menu

Alt Alignment

Started by tparker, May 22, 2023, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Hi all, I got a Alternator that seems to not be in alignment with the water pump pulley. It seems a few degrees off. A straight edge points away from the water pump. Besides being out of alignment, it also seems to pushed forward a bit. If I put a straight edge on the water pump it lands in about the middle of the belt. Seems like something is twisted. I tried with a second alt bracket that I bought along with the alt strap bracket and it seems to be pretty much the same. I don't think the bracket is bent since the second one also is off. But maybe. Any one run into this? Part of me would run it, but I will be doing the break in shortly and don't want to mess with a potential issue part way through.

torredcuda

Big or small block? Pic might help to see what is going on.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

7E-Bodies

My numbers matching 440 is back from machine shop, painted and ready for all the stock toys to go on. Not a single pulley on ANY of it is aligning. I used a long straight edge as well. It's gonna be a real joy. Glad I don't have to face this yet. Not looking forward to it.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

pschlosser

My own humble 1970 Barracuda 440-4 has the correct (presuming) single pulley alternator and the alignment is off by.... 1/4 to 1/2-inch.  The alternator pulley is forward a tad further than the crankshaft and water pump pulley.  This alt has the correct casting number for my car.

That said, it does not seem to impact anything, particular across many, many near-redline street races.

MoparLeo

Are all these engines new builds  that have not been run before with these accessories ?
Seems odd they all have the same problem unless they were just assembled wioth parts.
Original engines were equiped with specific pullies and brackets depending on what accessories were to be installed. You cannot mismatch these items. Like a/c pullies were specific to a/c equipped engines or power steering etc...
There are companies that sell complete, new pulley kits based on what you are going to run accessory wise.
  https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/products-pulleys
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

Sorry, I thought I put the engine in the original post. 340 small block.

@MoparLeo  Original setup was with a/c and I swapped over. I thought I got the right equipment but apparently not. If anything is incorrect, I'm betting it is the water pump pulley. The alt is the original. I swapped the water pump pulley and the the 2 alt brackets. I bought a new lower adjusting alt bracket since the a/c one seems to be off a bit. That new bracket also came with the triangular bracket water pump bracket and it appears to be the same shape as the one I have, which I picked up at a swap meet or something. The problem is verifying these are correct parts. I had a hard time trying to figure out which pulley to get. I saw several different ones listed as a 70 small block non A/C pulley. However, I can see them being moved out of plane by a small amount but not canted off line. I figure something is bent and/or the wrong part for the setup. I was just hoping someone had an obvious solution I over looked. ugh. I'll dig into it tomorrow and see what I can figure out and maybe post a pic or two.

tparker

UPDATE: I found my problem. Some how I acquired a spacer that was longer than the required size. According to the fastener manual it is supposed to be 2.14 inches or approx 2 1/16 ish. mine was a bit longer and was knocking things out of whack. So if your having alignment issues, make sure the spacers are the right size as well as the brackets aren't bent. I don't think the brackets can actually bend much, my A/C one broke rather than bent.

Another issue is make sure the crank pulley is fully seated. There is a little lip that it can catch on. I was taking mine off several times to swap from old to new pulleys during my mock up and found once or twice it wasn't fully seated.