Main Menu

another 8 3/4 contact pattern

Started by Rbob, January 21, 2021, 09:11:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Rbob

Changed from 4.10 to 3.73 and changed to Dr. Diff Sure trac-II

I used the pinion depth markings as a reference and and was .005 difference so I took out .005 shim stack.

Setup with dummy bearings and no crush sleeve. 
Backlash .08 and pinion preload at 9 in-lbs.

new bearings set at 24lb preload.  Factory service manual says 20-30 in-lbs  Why does is say 16-19 most places I find on the net?

Any changes needed?  If not I will install the new pinion bearings and recheck everything a last time.

Whats with the new front pinion bearing, seems awful tight, may have to heat a little to get it to get started.  Suggestions for installing that?

Chryco Psycho

I am no expert & have often struggled with this , to me the load side looks to high on the teeth should be more centered , the coast side looks great .
Could be a mistake on the inner diameter of the front brg or the new pinion diameter causing the tight fit .

Topcat

Maybe @jamesroney might know?

He understands this kind of stuff.

Rbob

I agree the drive side is a little high and closer to the toe side but better off on the toe side is my thinking.

I will take a pic of the final tomorrow,

Chryco Psycho

I believe the mesh could be deeper also so more in  he center & of the teeth & deeper so the load is closer to the root of the  teeth

Rbob

That is the best example I have seen, thank you.

It looks like toe-toe to me, so adding a little backlash should make the sweet spot, I will find out.

Rbob

This is after new pinion bearings and crush sleeve eliminator installed, not much change.

Chryco Psycho

I guess run it & see if it is quiet , i assume the backlash is correct ?