Main Menu

horn contact alignment

Started by RacerX, August 09, 2020, 11:40:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RacerX

Installing a new horn contact ring in my crush can and need to know what is the proper alignment of the tang on the locking ring.   Since this is what cancels the turn signal it obviously needs to be in a certain location.   

Classic mistake here...   took it apart and forgot to document the position of the old parts first.     :headbang:

The service manual does not reference this at all.

In this picture found on the net it appears to be directly below the mounting stud to the right of the steering wheel locating tab.   Is this correct?

Dakota

That tab on the can is just for aligning the wheel on the crush can.  It is not used for an electrical connection   The free end of the connector goes on to a male spade on the horn switch under the plastic parts of the wheel.

The horn relay is set up like the clutch safety switch on the starter relay and the dome light switches in the door:  you are completing a circuit on the ground (-) side of the battery, not the positive, to make the device work.   This means the horn switch has to have an electrical connection to the metal part of the steering wheel, and the metal spokes on the wheel have to have an electrical connection to the crush can.   If you look in the service manual, you'll also see that there's a short ground wire strap on roughly the 4 o'clock position on the column mount to ensure that the steering column is grounded to the dash frame.   I had painted the metal spokes on my wheel which interfered with most of these connections.  It just took a little work with a small wire brush on a Dremel to get it to work right by removing the paint under the switch and under the nuts that hold the wheel to the crush can.

RacerX

Quote from: Dakota on August 09, 2020, 01:11:17 PM
That tab on the can is just for aligning the wheel on the crush can.  It is not used for an electrical connection   The free end of the connector goes on to a male spade on the horn switch under the plastic parts of the wheel.

The horn relay is set up like the clutch safety switch on the starter relay and the dome light switches in the door:  you are completing a circuit on the ground (-) side of the battery, not the positive, to make the device work.   This means the horn switch has to have an electrical connection to the metal part of the steering wheel, and the metal spokes on the wheel have to have an electrical connection to the crush can.   If you look in the service manual, you'll also see that there's a short ground wire strap on roughly the 4 o'clock position on the column mount to ensure that the steering column is grounded to the dash frame.   I had painted the metal spokes on my wheel which interfered with most of these connections.  It just took a little work with a small wire brush on a Dremel to get it to work right by removing the paint under the switch and under the nuts that hold the wheel to the crush can.

I do not recall seeing the ground strap on this column, but I have seen one on other vehicles.   Will make a note to add one.

I am replacing the copper contact ring because the original was damaged.   Unfortunately I removed it before noting the location of the raised portion of the locking ring.   When turning the wheel with turn signals on this is what contacts the turn signal cam to cancel the signal.

I was using the upper tab (the steering wheel locating tab) as a reference because in the picture the locking ring appears to be aligned under the steering wheel mounting stud next to the locating tab.   

Chryco Psycho

The Master spline is generally at 12 Oclock , if the tang on the ring is also aligned at 12 Oclock this would be 1/2 way between the tabs on the turn signal switch

RacerX

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 09, 2020, 02:03:04 PM
The Master spline is generally at 12 Oclock , if the tang on the ring is also aligned at 12 Oclock this would be 1/2 way between the tabs on the turn signal switch

You are correct that the master spline should be at 12 o'clock...  confirmed by setting the wheel on the can.

However, after further experimenting I am inclined to believe that the placement of the locking ring shown in the picture is correct.   If the tang of the ring is aligned under the stud as shown, that puts it at a 90 degree angle to the master spline and centers it in the middle of the turn signal cam.  That is what you want for equal action whether you turn right or left...

Chryco Psycho

I agree , it should be 1/2 way between the cancelling tabs on the turn signal switch so around 9 O clock position