Main Menu

Are my compression test results too low?

Started by 70pumpkin, August 27, 2019, 06:04:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70pumpkin

Compression test over the weekend came up with these results.  Are they too low?  Seems like 130 or more is typical...

Car is a slightly modified 318 with stock compression; engine was rebuilt 20k ago but I'm not sure exactly what was done to it.  Also, car wasn't warmed up.  Plugs look good. 

1 - 120
2 - 120
3- 90-100 (I may not have cranked enough)
4- 110
5 - 105
6 - 115
7 - 105
8 - 120

70 Challenger Lover

That seems about right for a low compression 318 with a stock cam. Ideally they should all be within 10% of each other. I'd recheck the low one. That would be the only one worth worrying about.

kawahonda

WOT?

Factor in altitude for compression.

My 340 is 148-158 PSI without altitude correction.

What's your vacuum at? Vacuum reading + compression will give you a good wholistic view.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

jimynick

And then there's the wet test. Squirt a couple of squirts of oil in each cylinder and re-test. If there's a big difference, you may have ring issues. The early 340's had 10.5:1 CR and the 318's didn't so don't get too worried about the difference. There should, however, be a published 318 stat for it's CR and you may want to check that out. The 10% rule was based on the highest reading compared to the lowest.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

If the cam has longer duration it can read lower , wet test would be a good test too

70pumpkin

It is running a slightly hotter 260 comp cam, but have no idea what work was done (if any) to heads, pistons, valves, etc. 
Sounds like the numbers are in the ballpark.  Will retest #3.  Thanks for the help.