Main Menu

Bad throwout bearing results

Started by pyro273, January 28, 2019, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pyro273

I'll preface this with the comment that it's not a about an E-body TB but if one or more of the really good mechanics on here would like to help, I'd be eternally grateful.  Basically, I need to know if it's in even the realm of possibility for a bad TB to cause to a complete loss of clutch pedal in an hydraulic clutch system on a 2008 Jeep Wrangler  The only way I could even fathom how that would be possible would be for it have some sort of catastrophic failure and somehow trash the clutch slave, which is external in this car, so........

Failure scenario was clutch was soft and then it went away entirely after my son tried to downshift to pass a car.  No grinding or any other noise that would indicate the bearing was going.  There was also brake fluid coming from the bottom of the bell housing afterwards.  Slave was just replaced by a dealership three days before and now they are quoting an ungodly amount of money to replace the TB which they are now saying caused the issue.  I want to call BS but I've not worked on enough cars to know for sure.

Thanks,

Pyro

Cuda Cody

I just helped a buddy replace his clutch in his mid 2000's Jeep Wrangler and I was totally surprised when I looked at the throwout bearing.  It was a melted pile of crap and must have stopped working a long time ago.  He still had pedal pressure and was able to 'limp' it over to my place, but we had to replace everything in there.

Rich G.

There is only 3 things in the hydraulic setup  The master cylinder, the hose and the slave cylinder. It works exactly like the brake system except your pushing in the pressure plate instead of the brake pads. You said brake fluid Was coming out of the bellhousing that's either the slave or the connection to it is loose. If you lost the pedal is the master empty? Don't know if there is an inspection cover that you can remove to see what is leaking. If the slave was replaced 3 days ago I suspect something wasn't tightened. If the slave is bad you'd think it would be guaranteed.

Cuda Cody

Also, the clutch slave is sealed and external so it would have to fall off the fork alignment inside for it not to work.  My buddy put his clutch slave back in when we were done and he didn't get it lined up right and he lost the pedal on the first push. 

pyro273

Quote from: Cuda Cody on January 28, 2019, 12:34:02 PM
I just helped a buddy replace his clutch in his mid 2000's Jeep Wrangler and I was totally surprised when I looked at the throwout bearing.  It was a melted pile of crap and must have stopped working a long time ago.  He still had pedal pressure and was able to 'limp' it over to my place, but we had to replace everything in there.
Car is in AZ and I'm in GA so getting everything through my son but the dealership said that the TB was sheared in half and no longer on the input shaft.  My guess is that the last push on the pedal overextended the push rod in the slave and it became unseated...or something like that.  Unfortunately, it's a 2008 so it's got the crappy Mercedes transmission with the bad input shaft bearing so it already makes a ton of noise so the TB disintegrating was probably masked by that.

Thanks to all of the suggestions and comments; they were a big help!!  :twothumbsup: