Main Menu

Bell housing bolts question

Started by Mrbill426, September 05, 2021, 11:30:53 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

I am reinstalling the 727 back on our 340 and am a little stumped by the mounting bolts.  I have identified the 4- 3/8" bolts that are up top that thread into the block,  but I have 2-  7/16" bolts that go through tabs in the lower block and thread into the through holes in the tranny.  The thing is one of the 2 bolts is longer than the other, even though the thickness of the block tabs and threaded holes are the same.  Does it matter, or am I forgetting something the longer bolt secures?

Also I have 2 other identical 3/8" (shallow flange) bolts that originally had nylon inserts in the threads.  I am pretty sure they go somewhere in the transmission mounting but I know not where.  I do have the short 7/16" rear mount bolts and rectangular washers identified.
Anyone?

Chryco Psycho

normally you have 4 - 3/8" bolts at the top , & the 2 - 7/16 bolts in the bottom corners , not sure why you have 2 different lengths you can replace the longer one , the  small block originally had 2 support straps from the bottom of the belhousing up to the middle of the block .
Not sure where the other 2 3/8 bolts belong .

anlauto

The starter uses  a stud/nut set-up and one 7/16 bolt  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ply64post

bill426

Here is  some information from Dave Wises E/Body fastener book.

Jeff

Mrbill426

@Chryco Psycho  That is what I understand too... maybe along the line someone replaced a bolt with a longer one that I did not notice when I took it apart 8 years ago.  I still have the straps and will put them back on with the right bolts.  I have learned that the mystery bolts are supposed to be for the fuel pump which is already on the engine, to stay.  There are two threaded bolt holes side by side on the bottom of the very end of the tail shaft housing but I don't think they apply to our Cuda  :dunno:

Thanks

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 06, 2021, 05:51:45 AM
normally you have 4 - 3/8" bolts at the top , & the 2 - 7/16 bolts in the bottom corners , not sure why you have 2 different lengths you can replace the longer one , the  small block originally had 2 support straps from the bottom of the belhousing up to the middle of the block .
Not sure where the other 2 3/8 bolts belong .

Mrbill426

@ply64post  thanks for those pages Jeff, that helps a lot.  Interesting that they separately list the left and right sides when then bolts are the same size rather than just  saying "left and right are..."

Appreciate that!  :bigthumb:

Quote from: ply64post on September 06, 2021, 09:40:09 AM
bill426

Here is  some information from Dave Wises E/Body fastener book.

Jeff

Mrbill426

@anlauto  yes I have that stud too.

Thanks

Quote from: anlauto on September 06, 2021, 05:57:04 AM
The starter uses  a stud/nut set-up and one 7/16 bolt  :dunno: