Main Menu

Best Belt Source

Started by Gary AAR, April 20, 2021, 08:52:30 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I need new alternator drive belt and power steering pump belt for my 1970 AAR Cuda with 340 engine.  Looking for a good quality reproduction belt that includes the original part numbers, markings, date code, etc.  Any recommendations for the best belt source?  YearOne, Classic Industries, Roseville, etc???  Are the belts that everyone sells made by the same supplier?

Thanks.

antonellomopar

Have same problem with belts for my Hemi Cuda. Bought some repro belts from Quanta, and they stretched in 100 or so kilometers. Asked here on the forum for advice on something else, but got no replies.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: antonellomopar on April 20, 2021, 09:13:47 AM
Have same problem with belts for my Hemi Cuda. Bought some repro belts from Quanta, and they stretched in 100 or so kilometers. Asked here on the forum for advice on something else, but got no replies.

I bought the Quanta belts too but I haven't put any miles on them yet. Hopefully they don't stretch.

@anlauto - Any experience with these belts on your restos?

anlauto

I use QUANTA belts on all my OE type restos. YES...they stretch, they stretch within the first few miles of driving. I always tighten them back up  again after a while, and again, and tell my customers to keep an eye on them as well, if not they can twist, or even fly off....Ask @Desmond about our first blast in his Hemi GTX I restored....not the best experience, but it was a learning one... :D
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Shane Kelley

I gave up on the Quanta belts. If your just going putter around to cars shows and stuff like that they would be fine. You turn that motor up over 6k and they are coming off. I built 3 different cars. One was my 340 and I did a 383 and also a Hemi. All manual trans cars. Couldn't keep them on any of them. So it all comes down to how you're going drive the car. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some NOS belts out there floating around.

anlauto

Quote from: Shane Kelley on April 20, 2021, 12:09:45 PM
I gave up on the Quanta belts. If your just going putter around to cars shows and stuff like that they would be fine. You turn that motor up over 6k and they are coming off. I built 3 different cars. One was my 340 and I did a 383 and also a Hemi. All manual trans cars. Couldn't keep them on any of them. So it all comes down to how you're going drive the car. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some NOS belts out there floating around.

Yup, I have to agree with Shane on this....not recommended if you beat on your car at all....

I'm all ears if someone has a specific brand of belt that looks original WITHOUT cogs on top or on the inside, just a nice plain old V belt. :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Desmond

The belt issue is not unique to Mopars. As Alan said, find me a belt without cogs that won't twist or loosen and I will buy a dozen or so, it's a real hole in the resto market product offering. I still remember cleaning the coolant off of my freshly-restored over-heated hemi engine compartment in Alan's driveway after it threw the new belt. No fun.

anlauto

Quote from: Desmond on April 20, 2021, 04:53:09 PM
The belt issue is not unique to Mopars. As Alan said, find me a belt without cogs that won't twist or loosen and I will buy a dozen or so, it's a real hole in the resto market product offering. I still remember cleaning the coolant off the engine compartment of my over-heated hemi engine compartment in Alan's driveway after it threw the new belt. No fun.

:drinkingbud: Good ol' days eh ! :drinkingbud:

Gary AAR

Thanks for everyone's response.  Doesn't sound like Quanta has the best product.  I did a little more looking, and saw that Classic Industries uses the same part number (B4701) as Quanta for the alternator belt for a 1970 with 340, so I assume Classic Industries sources their belts from Quanta.  Can anyone confirm this?

Talked to Roseville, and they order their belts from Quanta.

Not sure where YearOne belts are sourced from.  The alternator belt for a 70 with 340 is a little pricey ($57.11 before any discount).  Anybody have any experience with a belt from YearOne?

Thanks.

anlauto

Pretty sure Quanta is the only manufacture of reproduction belts :alan2cents:

MoparLeo

Unfortunately. Most reproduction parts are focused more on their appearance than original equipment quality function. The factory parts were based on engineering specs that were determined by the factory engineers and sent to the parts manufacturers for production. If you are interested in driving your car hard, know that there are limitations on original " appearing" parts and like O.E. tires that are for show, get another set of parts for driving. More hassle but a choice you made when you decided to look "factory" but actually want to drive it.;. Always a compromise..just the way it is.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...