Main Menu

best oil pump and drive 493 stroker

Started by cam440, November 27, 2017, 02:22:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cam440

morning all can somebody please recommend the best oil pump and drive for my solid camshaft please also are there different oil pump pick ups for stroker set ups I ordered the milodon   hemi 6 quart pan and crank scraper as per everybodys advice thank you all , part no 18662 for the oil pick up is this correct . cheers cam

Topcat

I was recommended to me years ago to run a high pressure pump. Not the high volume type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOiHdIXVWE8

Topcat

On the intermediate gear between the pump and the distributor: Make sure you use the Mopar Performance one and not the Milodon.

This was my Milodon gear on my solid cam after 3,000 miles.
Sept 28th Reply #122
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion/2/broke-down-on-the-side-of-the-road-today/2129/msg55009#msg55009

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-3571071/overview/

cam440

ok that would have sucked hey what lobe centre is that bullet cam run on looks a nice choice , so solid and hydraulic cams share the same gear but rollers are different , do you have a stroker bud

Chryco Psycho

I use Melling Pumps , nothing else , Milodon will have the matching pick up tube for the pan that will clear the stroker

cam440

ok so just use the one they recommend with sump ok wasn't sure being a stroker that's why I like asking you boys because you all know from experience  must be both popular  items the sump , scraper and pick up are all nil stock and eta is 3 weeks that's ok happy to wait , quick question going to dummy assemble it over weekend to check on how much to deck the block do I need to notch the bore being a stroker its a 440 block with 4.150 crank , im sure ill find out but good to know in advance lol

Topcat

Quote from: cam440 on November 27, 2017, 09:34:14 PM
ok that would have sucked hey what lobe centre is that bullet cam run on looks a nice choice , so solid and hydraulic cams share the same gear but rollers are different , do you have a stroker bud

It's a 485 ci Hemi. 472 crank and .063 over.

I don't recall what is the lobe center. But it's a nice Cam based off of the Ultradyne grinds.

Chryco Psycho

Mopar blocks are always taller than the spec so milling is usually nessisary
Depending on the rods & bolts used you may need a small bore notch at the bottom to clear the rods

Shane Kelley

Not sure with your combo. But on the 383-496 stroker build I did.  I had to notch the lower cylinders just enough to clear the rod bolt heads. Very minimal. 10mm half circle.
The deck ended up needing cut .60 to achieve zero. That deck height is really critical because like CP said with Mopars it's all over the place. If that piston is sitting down in the hole it will make the motor a low compression pig. Doing your mock up build will answer a lot of your questions. Nothing like seeing it with your own eyes.

cam440

The kit is a eagle 4.150 crank with h beam eagle rods that are standard length with forged Mahle flat top pistons with valve relieves   dam they are a nice piston gotta say they are not very tall and pretty light should rev like my old 400 afr headed Chevy small block ,yeah a good  quench area is a must wow .60 down the hole that's a fair bit hey is that the engine in that black cuda your building mate

shawge

I have the Melling HV pump.  Had to change out the bypass spring to keep the pressures at a reasonable level.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

cam440

Chryco Psycho

It can be from pumping too much oil into an engine with tight clearances .
There are also different springs available which make approx this Psi when the oil is  hot red which is 50 psi approx , black 80 psi , there is also a double spring used in Alcohol / Top Fuel engines that will make approx 180 psi at idle