Main Menu

Big Block Power Steering Pump Question - B Body

Started by mopar thunder, January 24, 2022, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

Hi,
I also own a 1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440, non AC car if anyone can answer the following. I had a leaking power steering pump and took it to a shop to have it looked at. First they said they would rebuild it but then I was told they ordered a new rebuilt one. After it came in the pulley on the old pump that was on the car didn't fit so they called around and was sent one to fit the new pump. Problem is I realized the power steering belt is rubbing the fan pulley and wearing a groove in it. The pulley that came off the original pump is 4.75 inches in dia. The new pulley is 7 inches in diameter. I understand the big block pulleys came with a 3 spoke pulley but I don't know what the size was. I have attached pics of the old pump and the new installed pump. Any ideas of what can be done or what should be correct? I called the shop and they are researching it. Yes the reservior on the old pump is not in the correct position in the picture.

MoparLeo

What should be done it for the shop that charged you for it to get you the correct parts. You paid them to rebuild it. They didn't do what you asked for. They exchanged it for the wrong part.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

fc7cuda

The correct solution would be to reuse your original PS pulley, but at this point another solution would be to change the crank pulley to a smaller diameter so belt does not rub.  Once you start messing with pulleys, it can be challenging.  make sure you have enough pressure with the larger PS pulley that you can still turn the steering wheel with 1 finger.   :driving:

mopar thunder

Quote from: fc7cuda on January 25, 2022, 08:38:33 AM
The correct solution would be to reuse your original PS pulley, but at this point another solution would be to change the crank pulley to a smaller diameter so belt does not rub.  Once you start messing with pulleys, it can be challenging.  make sure you have enough pressure with the larger PS pulley that you can still turn the steering wheel with 1 finger.   :driving:
I will make sure I can. I actrually think the pressure line is leaking a little spo I am going to take it back. Do they make a smaller PS pulley? The old one won't fit on the new pump.

mopar thunder

Is the new pump that is on there wrong? or is it just the pulley? I am going to take it back and try to work with them but I want to make sure I know enough about it to let them know.

mopar thunder

Ok, this is a follow up on this issue. It has been established the old power steering pump was a TRW. The new one that was installed is a Federal. Does anyone know which is the correct one for a 1968 Charger R/T 440 HP? The sheave on the new one is 0.624 and the pulley itself appears to be almost 7 inches. Can I get a 6 inch pulley with that sheave dimension for a Federal?