Main Menu

Broke oil pressure switch off on back off block

Started by Msbaugh440, July 15, 2018, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Msbaugh440

I guess I got a little over zealous on tightening my new fuel pump safety switch and broke it off. 440 big block engine. Was able to get it out with an extractor kit and was very careful using compressed air to blow out shavings when I could, but I accidentally drilled all the way through what was left.  my big worry is the little bit of brass shavings that got in the hole.

What are the holes tapped into specifically? I have to take the oil pan off to replace a leaking gasket, is there a good way to flush this just in case while it's out?

RUNCHARGER

That goes into the main oil galley that crosses from one side of the block to the other. If you want to make a mess you could leave it open and run the oil pump with a priming shaft and a drill and it will geyser out the hole you drilled (and I suppose oversize tapped).
Sheldon

Msbaugh440

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself well. the original hole is fine and the threads are still good (I didn't have to drill or re-tap into the block at all., I just had to take a small extractor through the middle of the broken off brass piece that was threaded into it, I got it out, but drilling into it surely  got a little bit of brass shavings in there probably not much but don't want to risk it.

screamindriver

That actually makes it a little easier..Using Runcharger's idea you could then thread a section of pipe in the hole then attach a hose to it.. Have a container ready and spin the engine...

YellowThumper

I believe previous post was covering your dilemma by offering a solution of flushing out debris.  Less messy way would be to connect an open hose that lets out to a container. Spin drive to build oil pressure and let flush out thru open hose. Obviously limited amount of flushing.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Dakota

I mistakenly left off the oil pressure switch when I ran the oil pump with a primer shaft. You will get a healthy flush out of the hole.  I got an unexpected oil slick. 

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I figured you had drilled out the threads in the block, you're good, thread a fitting and line into the hole and flush it out.
Sheldon

Msbaugh440

Sounds easy enough! Good ideas! Thanks fellas!