Main Menu

Cam kit opinions

Started by LinceCuda, December 15, 2017, 07:42:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

LinceCuda

A friend of mine has a Melling cam kit he bought and now is going a different direction I can have for $300.00 that's his asking price maybe lower. The kit specs are Lift .480 in. & .480 ex. duration .287 in. & .287 ex. duration @.050 .231 in. & .231 ex. lobe center 109 The kit includes cam, lifters, locks, retainers, springs, double roller timing chain, lube, gaskets,  timing gear, and cam gear. Stock 1971 340 4 speed cam specs are lift .430 in. & .445 ex.  52 overlap and duration is 276 in. & 284 ex. My 71 340 engine has stock forged rotating system stock stroke and .040 over bore. I'm going with 3:55 rear gear with sure grip and the trans is a 1973 A833 stock gear ratio's for 73 to the best of my knowledge, and 1974 360 J-heads 1.88 in. & 1.60 ex. valves. I know if the cam isn't right pretty much nothing else works as it should. What do you think good for a fun street car and should I buy or pass?  :thinking:

Chryco Psycho

Pass , they are more of a rebuilder cam

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I would pass, it's no use saving $100 on a camshaft that may compromise what you are trying to do. I have had good luck with Lunati in Mopars lately.
Sheldon

LinceCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 15, 2017, 08:06:51 PM
Pass , they are more of a rebuilder cam
Little more info on " rebuilding cam" Psycho

LinceCuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on December 15, 2017, 08:11:24 PM
I agree: I would pass, it's no use saving $100 on a camshaft that may compromise what you are trying to do. I have had good luck with Lunati in Mopars lately.
Ran Lunati in drag car 499 stroker loved it. Well that's 2 pass on it in a row from folks who know. Thanks

LinceCuda

Ok let's forget about the make and what comes in the kit and look at the spec's of the cam. Do you think the specs are good for my engine trans and rearend combo?

Chryco Psycho

Rebuilder cam is just a cheap replacement cam similar to factory specs to get the engine running & out the door .

Lift is free , more lift @ the same duration is always a win ,
I willl look at your build more closely & recommend .

LinceCuda