Main Menu

NEED OPINIONS

Started by kathyscuda, August 18, 2019, 01:10:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kathyscuda

this is a first.i can usually figure any problem out.
70 cuda..fresh 340.. 4 speed..orig rebuilt carter afb. ..petronix ignition..
starts fine,,idles fine.. drives fine,, ..

in 2nd or 3rd gear cruising along I decide to put it to the test and it feels like half the plug wires were pulled off.
so I let off and its fine .
I tried. different plugs,different wires,different distr.put a points distr back in,  then I thought broken valve spring. nope. compression test all ok .
all the plugs have a nice shade o grey .
its kinda like the secondarys are butterflying if that makes sense.{ vacuum secondary's }
I DONT FUNNING KNOW ??

RUNCHARGER

Adjust the air door on your AVS carb. It's opening too fast causing a stumble most likely.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

So when you say it feels like half the plug wires were pulled off, does that mean there is misfiring in the ignition system or is it that it simply lacks power as though the throttle wasn't opening all the way?

Cuda Cody

Might be leaning out under load?  Is this a new carburetor?

kathyscuda

its the orig carter, ## ????
it feels like a misfire. but everything electric was double checked or replaced to test. coil etc.
im also thinking secondary door not adjusted properly. I did read up on adjudting it. bending the rod a little .

kathyscuda

runc , I will mess with the air door.
I set it to the book. I think it was around 1.5 turns and lock the screw. ?? I may have to go a little more .. put more pressure on it ..

Spikedog08

Sounds like a lack of gas . . Carb needs dialed in?   :huh:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

bennydodge

Maybe the fuel filter as well. I've had better luck with the reproduction metal ones. Also, make sure the float drop is right. If the floats don't drop far enough, the fuel fill into the carb will be slower and cause some of the problems you described.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

jimynick

Don't discount the ignition as the cause yet. I had a 340 that began to misfire and it was because the ignition wasn't receiving enough voltage. It began when I got on it, as that challenges the ignition beyond what it took to just run along. May not be the cause, but checking couldn't hurt, could it? Good luck!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

Or the advance in the distributor is stuck.

Chryco Psycho

What changed ? Was it running well & you or it changed ?
Flaot level is the first thing that comes to mind it should be 7/32 I usually set it at 3/16

kathyscuda

float height is correct . took carb apart twice. .i will try a new fuel filter. it is metal and not that old. I even put some race gas in  it.
keep picking at it

Rich G.

Do you have a spare coil to try it even a single point distributor to try. My guess would be ignition breaking down under a load. The only 2 pertronix I've used broke down.

Chryco Psycho

I have had pertronics fail also but you have to connect the power to 13v not to the positive coil feed as it is only 7v which will cause the unit to fail