Main Menu

Carb spacer busted... oops

Started by nsmall, May 14, 2017, 09:55:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I've unfortunately broke two tabs on my carb spacer.  Should I replace it?  Next time if it doesn't fit right I'm going to drill out the holes as I forced​ it on and broke it.  Oops

Chryco Psycho

As long as you do not overtighten the carb you should be fine I don't wan to see you break the ears off the carb , it will have no effect on the sealing surface

71GranCoupe

As inexpensive as the spacer it, I would replace it. Even at the minimum torque, there is an imbalance of pressure on the unsupported corner of the carb. This could lead to the cracking/breaking of the outer tab of the soft aluminum.  :alan2cents:

A.Gramz

Spacer is cheep. Carb not so much. Why risk it. Not like you need to get your engine back together today.    :alan2cents:

Cuda Cody

Pretty sure it would be fine as it's not going to affect the seal and the studs will apply plenty of pressure to keep it in place.  But I personally would replace it because I like buying car parts and hate things that are broken.    :looney:

But if you don't mind the look of the cracked edge, it should function fine.  :alan2cents:

JS29

Or at least J-B weld the ears back on! I my self would change it. :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

Carbs don't need 100ft lbs of torque

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

70/6chall

The phenolic carb spacers are cheap enough ($17. To $30. for a 1") I'd replace it. I prefer phenolic over aluminum anyway. It's a terrific insulator, for engines prone to vapor lock, cool carb=cool fuel.
    Some carb torque specs: carb to manifold nut
     426 Hemi,   7 ft/lbs. thread size, 5/16" to 24
      RB/B,  383,400,440,   7 ft/lbs.   thread size,  5/16" to 24
      LA,   273, 318, 340, 360.  7 ft/lbs.   thread size,  5/16" to 24
  Do'nt be overly aggressive when you lean on it to tighten the carb nuts
   An aggressive story, a 6-cylinder, single throat carb (Holly 1920) has 2 ears. Picked up a freshly rebuilt carb, one day, 2 and 4 barrel carbs have 4 ears each. Got a little aggressive and cracked one of the ears. There you go, 50% of the carb compromised, GRRR!! Ended up buying a brand new carb for $125. Remember, whether it's a 4,2 or a single throat the frustration is still the same.  Thanks,  Al

Brads70

jimynick

Quote from: Brads70 on May 14, 2017, 03:32:22 PM
Quote from: HP_Cuda on May 14, 2017, 12:08:51 PM
Carbs don't need 100ft lbs of torque

:rofl:

6 Foot pipe will work!  :D
Nah, I just use a 1/2" Johnson bar. Works every time!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

303 Mopar

You might want to try a Cool Carb.  Much more effective than a phenolic carb and they don't crack.

www.coolcarb.com