Main Menu

Carburetor Main Body

Started by cudabob496, December 26, 2017, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cudabob496

Proform sells a main body in Summit for an 850 Holley,
and says a person could gain up to 50 hp???
I cut the choke tower off of my 850 DP 15 yrs ago.
Could this new main body make much difference?
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Chryco Psycho

Yup . the potential is there for sure , the difference I have found tuning older Holleys vs New Proforms is significant

cudabob496

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 29, 2017, 04:34:33 PM
Yup . the potential is there for sure , the difference I have found tuning older Holleys vs New Proforms is significant

so its mainly just a little more smoother flow???
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

Chryco Psycho

No it is not so much about total airflow
I doubt you would gain 50 HP but you never know  , but there is a lot more to it than just flow , they seem to be far more responsive similar to EFI so the ability to get fuel into the air flow + atomization is far better so this could be better venturi shape & booster design . How much is attributed to the main body vs metering plates etc is hard to say  , I have only bought complete carbs . My bet is you would feel the difference though  :alan2cents:

cudabob496

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 29, 2017, 05:22:16 PM
No it is not so much about total airflow
I doubt you would gain 50 HP but you never know  , but there is a lot more to it than just flow , they seem to be far more responsive similar to EFI so the ability to get fuel into the air flow + atomization is far better so this could be better venturi shape & booster design . How much is attributed to the main body vs metering plates etc is hard to say  , I have only bought complete carbs . My bet is you would feel the difference though  :alan2cents:

ya, metering plates are new, but they are for an 850 that is almost 20 years old.
Tempting for $179. Gotta make sure my throttle plate has 1.75 inch openings. thanks!