Main Menu

PCV System

Started by dave73, December 26, 2017, 07:53:07 AM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

On my 440, I currently have a regular pcv valve on the passenger side with the hose hooked up to the power brake vacuum port on the backside of my holley 850 double pumper. Is that ok? I've read conflicting info all of the internet, some say it should be hooked up below the carb?

The driver side valve cover has a breather but no hose fitting. Should I get a breather that allows me to run a hose from the breather to the air cleaner. Will that make a difference?

cudabob496

exactly how mine is set up.
but put restriction in 3/8 hose down to 3/16, to
minimize oil sucked into intake.
Also built home made oil separator in the 3/8 line.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.

dave73

Yours is setup exactly like mine is now - regular pcv valve on passenger valve cover into rear vacuum port on carb, then driver side breather with no hose?

Chryco Psycho

The PCV should always be connected to the carb base so the  fumes are equally distributed to all cylinders , the breather is a filter to keep contamination out of the engine , connecting it to the air cleaner may be a cleaner source of incoming air .
The brake booster hose can be connected to the intake runner on the rear of the intake but should never be spliced into as a vacuum source or it can reduce the assist to the brakes .

dave73

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on December 27, 2017, 06:48:33 AM
The PCV should always be connected to the carb base so the  fumes are equally distributed to all cylinders , the breather is a filter to keep contamination out of the engine , connecting it to the air cleaner may be a cleaner source of incoming air .
The brake booster hose can be connected to the intake runner on the rear of the intake but should never be spliced into as a vacuum source or it can reduce the assist to the brakes .

No power brakes here so I'm using that back port on the holley double pumper for the pcv. When you say carb base, is the back port on the carb ok?  I also have a phenolic spacer - I've read others running the pcv hose to spacer with a port, is that better?

Chryco Psycho

That is perfect  as long as it goes into the center plenum under the carb either through the carb or just below the carb you are fine

cudabob496

Quote from: dave73chally on December 27, 2017, 06:41:24 AM
Yours is setup exactly like mine is now - regular pcv valve on passenger valve cover into rear vacuum port on carb, then driver side breather with no hose?

Yes, though there is another breather on the pass side.
72 Cuda, owned for 27 years, 496, solid roller, 3500 stall, 3.91 gears, ported Stage VI heads, 3 inch X-pipe exhaust, 850 DP, ram air setup, fuel cell, batt in trunk,
Wilwood brakes, Weld wheels, MT ET Street tires, fiberglass hood, Alum radiator.