Main Menu

Carter AVS Rebuild...any guides?

Started by kawahonda, December 14, 2018, 01:30:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

My dad and I will be rebuilding my Carter AVS over the winter.

I know absolutely nothing about this carb other than it has an air door for the secondaries (have no idea how to adjust it). The only thing I have done with this carb is set the idle and monkey around with the fuel/air mix. I have a digital exhaust gas analyzer that I plan to use after the rebuild to dial it in. I do have a gallon of Berryman's cleaner all set to go for it.

For now, we need a guide, whether it be a thread, youtube, etc on how to best rebuild the Carter AVS. I do have the factory service manual, not sure how well it outlines how to rebuild the Carter..

Aside from Mike's rebuild kit, if there's anything else I need to order, please let me know so I can do before next weekend. Perhaps there's some "absolute must dos" to the Carter AVS that may be missing from common knowledge.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

headejm

I bought a Walker rebuild kit and followed the directions. Pretty straight forward. I also bought this book. Lots of detailed rebuild and tuning information.

Air door info photos from the HP 1555 book.

jimynick

Do you know anybody with a ultrasonic cleaner? My buddy bought one quite reasonably and when he got out of it the already clean looking bike carb that he put in, he said he couldn't believe how much schmutz was in the bottom of the tank. As in most things carburetor, the devil is in the details and those wee tiny passages have had 40 years to get bunged and the ultrasonic cleaner seems to get that job done where dunking in the old carb cleaner sometimes doesn't. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

https://app.box.com/s/lh8wu00a4tht31x9d1aya2ftgjuzo4l6

I scanned and put the pages from the book of the disassembly and assembly at the above link.

kawahonda

Great stuff guys, thanks. I think from what everyone has posted and 73440's scans, I'll probably be a-oK.

My dad has rebuilt carbs many times. I doubt this one is much different. Maybe though?

Sounds like modifications are not necessary. As long as I have a rebuild kit, I should have everything I need.

Watch the air door adjustment,  you need two screwdrivers ,
if you just loosen the locking screw you lose the tension on the spring and have to start over just follow the pictures that are on this thread.
The rest looks like normal it seems to work on, small parts and passages that need to be cleaned.
https://www.berrymanproducts.com/products/eco-friendly-products/berryman-chem-dip-carburetor-and-parts-cleaner/
This is the carb dip I have used , has a basket in it to hold parts.

kawahonda

Yep! I got that sitting on my desk right now. Can't wait to dip it!

kawahonda

We're unsure where these two parts go. Really tiny ass washer and a small spring.

kawahonda

We found where the washer goes. But that we have no clue.

I also noticed that my avs doesn't use these Venturi vent sleeves.

kawahonda

OK, two questions:

1) carb still has off-idle stumble. Feels like a lean condition. I will check accelerator pump squirt. assuming it should squirt right away when throttle is actuated with no delay? The linkage is in the second position per manual. I also measured the pump rod as noted in manual. New pump. Have not tested operation yet. If the pump is fine I guess the next thing to do is to loosen tension on air door. Right now it's about 2.5 turns.

2) this morning car wouldn't start. Took off air cleaner and saw that choke was open. I pushed the plate down and car started. I popped the plate up when the car was warm. So, choke may not be opening and closing. What is the correct way to test/adjust/fix this?

RUNCHARGER

Yup: Fuel should definetly shoot out the nozzles. The secondary door should have no effect on off idle stumble other than if you do it WOT. Check to see if the choke rod is rubbing somewhere, did you install a thicker base gasket?
Sheldon