Main Menu

Carter Carbs

Started by Blowout, June 09, 2023, 06:04:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Blowout

Still learning a lot on ebodys so hopefully this question isn't too bad but did any of the Carter carbs come with hot air chokes? Specifically the 440s or was it all manual chokes?  Thanks guys  :cheers:

ZippyZoo

Yes - most came with the hot air choke actuated by the bimetal spring in the intake manifold choke well right above the hot exhaust cross-over.

Blowout

What part number carbs are we talking about? Can be any year, higher cfm. Probably hard to come by?

pschlosser

Giving us the 440's model year would be a big help.  Or the factory OEM Carb #.

FYI, the bimetal choke pull off varies with differing years, carbs and types of engines.   These OEM choke assemblies are often stamped on top with the last two digits of the full part number.

The 1970 440-4 (for example) came with choke #2951653 and the top of the choke is stamped with a 53.  They are pretty common, and they're are a number of repops and Chinese knockoffs making them more economical.

Refer to attached image of factory NOS.  Note those extra numbers not often seen on repops. There are other ways to spot repops, too.

I will add my recommendation applies mostly to a correct OEM factory intake manifold.  Once you start mixing in other parts, differing years, carbs, manifolds, aftermarket, etc, its gets more messy.

Blowout

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't looking at a particular model but more if most Carter's came with a hot air chokes.  Do any of you run without a choke? And is it a big issue?

Blowout

Also, how hard is it to find a 4737, 4738 or a 4741?  Anyone know the price range?  I have a Carter carb I planned to use, it has a manual choke and rated at 750cfm but not sure I want to use the manual choke. On my Pontiac, I had the hot air chokes switched out for a electric and it makes starting that car very easy. Didn't know if I wanted to do the same or stick with what I have. Hmmm

7E-Bodies

Mine (a 4738s) is headed back from Scott Smith at Harms as we speak. It's the original and also matches the build sheet as well as the date code. My car was a disassembled project (very organized however) when I bought it. Choke was in the parts bin. It was a 53 model and looked original but the engine shop couldn't get it installed for the break in and dyno and it's the NM 440 engine and stock intake. I'm at a loss. Parts bin also contained a blanking plate, so I'm not sure how this beast was born. Scared to order a knock off and have it be a useless twin to what I have. Maybe a correct carb spacer would alleviate my problem? No idea. Engine shop said "if you don't plan to run this thing in cold weather, don't bother with it." I'll look into it when the carb arrives from Scott and I install it. I will admit that somewhere in my supposedly organized parts there's a baseplate that was like 3/8-1/2" thick and I'm having trouble finding it. The engine shop didn't have it because I couldn't find it then either. Gotta be somewhere.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

pschlosser

Quote from: Blowout on June 11, 2023, 11:57:38 AM
Also, how hard is it to find a 4737, 4738 or a 4741?  Anyone know the price range?

Price range? In my recent 2023 experience, starting at $200 (ebay) for a core, one in need of rebuilding, maybe missing a part or two.  You may find one for less on this forum, Mopar swap meets  or a local classified.

For a shiny and complete one, already rebuilt to shiny show quality, starting at $600 (ebay).